Shipping prices in Canada - Deciding to use General mail?

Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 34 287

Hey, @hannah6040!

I spoke to Canada Post and they told me it's not possible to purchase Lettermail Shipping online. I certainly haven't found a way when I searched either.

For a workaround, I created an address template that will print out perfectly on my shipping labels. I then purchased sheets of stamps. You get 6 stamps to a sheet and each stamp is worth $ 1.94 which is how much it costs me to ship each envelope within Canada. This way, I can still just print the label and stick a stamp on, without having to line up at the post office every time I receive an order. 

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
pagexrage
Excursionist
12 0 4

Hi Aria, I'm so glad this thread exists as we just launched a store and have been banging our heads against a wall trying to find a way to ship our tiny, inexpensive product in an envelope - the shipping rates on parcels would have us dead in the water! Are you still using stamps? We're working with a fufillment service, so thinking we could get them to auto print out an address template (do you have a recommendation?) and then can just add stamps for domestic orders.

What have you found to work for international orders?

Thanks so much!
Paige

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 34 287

Hey, @pagexrage!

Yes, I'm still using stamps because I haven't found a way to purchase letter mail online. For the address template, I literally just used the Pages app on my Mac (Word would work as well or Google docs or any word processing app). I had to do a bit of trial and error to create the perfect printable template then I kept it. 

For international orders, I can't do letter mail. It exists for sending things to the States but it is paper only and I am sending a metal object (enamel pin). Those orders just have the shipping calculated at checkout and I purchase the shipping label online. 

You would need to speak to your fulfilment service to find out what they are willing to do. 

0 Likes
pagexrage
Excursionist
12 0 4

Do you know how to get in touch with Shopify decision makers? It seems tons of store owners are having the same issue. This workaround takes so much time.

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 34 287

Hey, @pagexrage!

It's not Shopify decision-makers we need for this, it's Canada Post. For whatever reason, they don't allow letter mail to be sold online, it's not available on the Canada Post website either. 

Most of my parcels ship to the states but when people do purchase from Canada, I keep sheets of stamps and just print the customers address on a shipping label sticker and put the stamp on. The whole thing is almost as quick as printing a regular shipping label. 

0 Likes
Matt147
1 0 0

Hi,

I came across your thread and felt i could give you an idea on how we work this thing out.

We sell all our products using Canadapost oversize lettermail.  At this time, we ship only to Canada using this method.

PROS:

• You get the lettermail oversize mail rate which vary by the weight (per 100g increments) and the max you will have to pay is 5.30$ for 500g or under
  • This allows you to offer free shipping on your store or flat 5$ shipping for example
  • I've never had a complaint for lost item
  • 5-10 business days is the delivery standard and even with the covid situation, Canadapost seems to achieve it
  • Can be managed directly by you at your workspace or office
  • Can be dropped off in a standard street mailbox (no need to go to the post office)

CONS:

• No tracking number or insurance
  • Relies on trust between you and your customers

HOW TO USE IT FROM YOUR OFFICE:

• You have to buy/rent a postage meter and add some funds in it.
  • We use the pitney bowes solution and so far, we are very satisfied
  • This tool prints "stamps" directly on your packaging or on a label that you can apply to your enveloppe

Here is a few links to help you out:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp    SEE SECTION 4

https://www.pitneybowes.com/ca/en/shipping-and-mailing/postage-meters/mailstation-2-mailing-system.h...   This is the model we use

https://amzn.to/3rAxvd4  This is the envelope we use

Hope this helps !

0 Likes