Shipping profiles and correct shipping cost

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 3

Hi,

I am creating a shipping profile for main product heads. Can I attribute a package size to the products and then let shopify calculate weight of the product. What is the best way to assign shi[pping. Does it make sense to add a weightto each product and let the chosen carrier decide the cost? I a very confused with the shipping. As it seems I can choose only one default shipping package. i have bery small jewelry and then I have fabrics with are big and over 1lb..Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
95 4 19

Hey @Diya,

Most merchants are confused with shipping - there is quite a lot to decide on and know

Shopify only offers one box size to be sent off for live rate calculations, regardless of the size of the actual order. What do you ship in? Do you have multiple package sizes you ship with? If you do, you would need a third-party shipping app if you are looking to charge based on the dimensional weight of the package (this is how carriers charge for shipping). This is the theoretical weight of the package based on the size, and carriers will always charge for the larger weight, whether it's dimensional or actual weight. The benefit here is that you know you are charging the right price for shipping, so whenever you get an order, you know it's profitable  

The problem with using Shopify's single box size is that you will be undercharging for some orders, and you will be responsible for paying out of pocket for the additional shipping cost. If you overcharge for shipping, customers will abandon their cart, especially if it's a jewelry order. 

Another option is to charge flat shipping rates, which you can cost out by creating common cart combinations and shipping destinations to identify the average shipping cost. Some merchants offset some of the shipping cost into the product price to make the shipping cost more palatable, and others will charge different flat rates depending on where the order is going (i.e. Hawaii and Alaska have a different flat shipping cost). 

It's ultimately up to you to decide what works for your store. If you want to charge accurate live rates, Smart Boxing would be a fantastic fit for you. You can book a demo with our team to learn more, or email us at support@intuitiveshipping.com

Warm regards,
Sharon   

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 3
Hi Sharon,

I would love to learn more. I just looked at the pricing which basically
starts at 600 orders.
I am a very small set up and do you have anything for small home run
businesses

Nonetheless I would like to know more about how this works, if we can
schedule a time