Shipping profiles to exclude certain products to specific countries

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

Due to legal sale right we need to exclude certain products to specific countries.

Our case:

Product A can be sold everywhere

Product B can be sold everywhere excluding UK

Shipping profiles:

- General (Product A) Shipping Fee = 5 USD

- Legal Sale Right (Product B) Shipping Fee = 5 USD

Online costumer A (From UK):

Buys product A = Shipping Fee = 5 USD

Buys product B = No shipping options / Can't buy

Buys product A + B = No shipping options / Can't buy

Conclusion:

Costumer A has no idea at checkout why he can't buy product B or Product A + B

Online costumer B (All other countries):

Buys product A = Shipping Fee = 5 USD

Buys product B = Shipping Fee = 5 USD

Buys product A + B = Shipping Fee = 10 USD (5 + 5)

Conclusion:

Costumer B has no idea at checkout why he needs to pay double shipping fee when he buys product A + B

Maybe a new e-commerce way; buy more, pay more =)

Any solutions ?

Costumer A (UK) should not be able to buy product B (Legal Sale Right),

but Costumer B (All other countries) should not be forced to pay double shipping fee when buying product A + B

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
847 46 145

Hey, @mw_upnorth

I took a look into this and recreated your setup within my test store to see what options were available. After some testing, as well as speaking with our Shipping team, I can confirm that what you're seeing is expected behaviour. The assumption here is that the items will be shipped separately, so it makes sense for the shipping to cost more when it is two shipments. While the Shipping Profiles feature doesn't support this specific case, there are a few workarounds you can consider. 

Workaround One: Use a shipping app such as Better Shipping, Advanced Shipping Rules, or Parcelify

ProsApps give you the flexibility you will need to get the desired outcome for your business as they offer more robust features. 

Cons: These apps require the "CCS" feature, which is $20/month, or free when you annually pay for your Shopify Subscription. The cost for CCS would be on top of the costs from the app itself. 

Workaround Two: Use an automatic discount code to discount the $5.

Pros: This ensures that your customer does not pay the additional $5 for ordering both products. 

Cons: Stackable discounts are not supported. The customer would not be able to take advantage of other discounts available. 

While Shipping Profiles does not support this use case, I have added feedback so our developers are aware of how we can improve this feature in the future. 

For "Online Customer A," there should be proactive messaging that tells them that "There are no shipping methods available for your cart or address." If this doesn't suffice, you could look into a few different methods to make this more obvious. 

Workaround One: Update the language (Online Store/Themes/Actions/Edit Languages) to say something more specific. 

Pros: Changing the messaging should give you a more desired outcome to ensure your customer understands the "why" behind why they can't purchase this product. 

Cons: The messaging is at checkout, which does require your customers to take multiple steps before finding out they can't purchase this product. In addition, the messaging is not specific to this use case and would show any time there are no rates for the cart/address. 

Workaround Two: Add messaging to the product page to indicate that this product is not available in the UK

Pros: More immediate messaging to avoid a pain point for your customers where they need to complete multiple steps to find out they can not order this product. 

Cons: There are no foreseeable cons to this method

Workaround Three: Use Locksmith to lock the product from specific locations.

Pros: You can lock down the product page to avoid customers from the UK from being able to add the product to the cart. 

Cons: This app does cost $9/month

If you have any questions or need any clarifications on one of the workarounds I've provided, let me know!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi @Peter 

Thanks for a fckn kick-ass respond !

Two quickies:

- Do we really need the CCS for any of those 3 apps (Better Shipping, Advanced Shipping Rules, or Parcelify).

If we only gonna use ruled-base (weight based) shipping ?

- Will any of those 3 apps (Better Shipping, Advanced Shipping Rules, or Parcelify) take over the shipping at checkout entirely?

Or will i see standard shipping options from settings -> shipping as well at checkout ?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
847 46 145

@mw_upnorth 

Do we really need the CCS for any of those 3 apps (Better Shipping, Advanced Shipping Rules, or Parcelify).

If we only gonna use ruled-base (weight based) shipping ?

Yes, all three apps (from my knowledge) would require this feature if you want to use them within your store. They would not be needed if you continue with what is provided natively within the Shipping Profiles. 

Will any of those 3 apps (Better Shipping, Advanced Shipping Rules, or Parcelify) take over the shipping at checkout entirely?

Better Shipping and Parcelify will take over the checkout, however; Advanced Shipping Rules can allow you to create rules that say if "x" rate and "y" rate are in the cart, create "z" rate. 

Does that help clear things up? 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes