Shipping quotes for draft orders?

Highlighted
1 0 1

I sell a lot of custom items, so I use draft orders frequently. Unfortunately, draft orders only allow me to pick free shipping or a dollar amount.

Ideally, I would like to be able to add box size and weight in the draft order like I can when I create a shipping label and have it automatically calculate the rate based on the customers info that I've already input into the draft order. But that isn't an option.

As far as I can tell, there is no way for me to easily look up the Shopify shipping rates. The Shopify Shipping Calculator here only shows USPS rates and still requires a lot of manual entry to get a quote. Logging in to get UPS rates only shows rates to 5 major cities and doesn't allow for box dimensions, which does me zero good. I can create a $0 order to get a rate, that is a ton of extra work.

It seems crazy to me that I'm spending several hundred dollars a month in Shopify and shipping fees and these basic shipping tools are not available to me. I tried looking at third party shipping apps, but none of them seem to do what I need. From what I can tell, most of the third party apps need a completed order before they can be imported.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Any good work arounds?

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am in a similar situation, wanting to send drafts to customers that include a calculated shipping rate.

Similarly suprised at the size of age of Shopify and these sort of things not being available.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 1 3

I had the same problem until I moved my items into a 'calculated rates' shipping option. It took some work as I had to define weights for all of my items and set up some oversized items in special calculated rates categories (ie + $5 for specific sized box, + $10 etc). It calculates at Shopify's shipping rates and I have a contract with Canada Post, so I make a bit of extra money on the shipments.  But now in draft orders it comes up with all of the shopify shipping options, allows me to select their calculations, a custom amount, local pickup or free shipping.  Works well.  Hope that helps!  Char

@asusc wrote:

I sell a lot of custom items, so I use draft orders frequently. Unfortunately, draft orders only allow me to pick free shipping or a dollar amount.

Ideally, I would like to be able to add box size and weight in the draft order like I can when I create a shipping label and have it automatically calculate the rate based on the customers info that I've already input into the draft order. But that isn't an option.

As far as I can tell, there is no way for me to easily look up the Shopify shipping rates. The Shopify Shipping Calculator here only shows USPS rates and still requires a lot of manual entry to get a quote. Logging in to get UPS rates only shows rates to 5 major cities and doesn't allow for box dimensions, which does me zero good. I can create a $0 order to get a rate, that is a ton of extra work.

It seems crazy to me that I'm spending several hundred dollars a month in Shopify and shipping fees and these basic shipping tools are not available to me. I tried looking at third party shipping apps, but none of them seem to do what I need. From what I can tell, most of the third party apps need a completed order before they can be imported.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Any good work arounds?

0 Likes