Shipping rates and using distribution centers in different countries

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi, there!

I'm just starting a new e-commerce using the Lite plan and I have a few questions/doubts.

First of all, I'd like to explain the context. I sell a small set of products handmade by me here in Portugal and, for now, just to Portugal as well.

At the same time we'd like to have more products on our store so we decided also using the dropshipping service from BigBuy, located in Spain.

I have technical skills so my idea is creating a new Shopify app so I can import products from BigBuy catalog to my store as well as syncing orders between both platforms.

For our own products' deliveries we're going to using a local mail service (CTT). They don't have an integration yet with Shopify but my idea is creating also another app for this. The dropshipping products are coming from Spain and they provide a shipping API when I can consult the shipping services and prices they offer.

Here are my doubts:

1) How can I set different delivery time for my local products and BigBuy's ?

2) How can I allow using their Shipping API service in the checkout just for their products ?

3) How can I flag my products differently from theirs in my store's catalog?

4) How can I setup different origins when choosing my products and their products ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dani

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Sorry, not Lite Plan but Basic.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
150 8 35

One way to flagging different sources is to create a location, make it active, and then in the Bulk Editor add the Vendor field, select all products for a specific source "vendor" (which is going to be the active location newly created) and change to the new, active location.  All products not from the other warehouse / source of dropshipping leave be, or if they're not set, change to the first active location (the Portugal one).  I'm doing dropshipping with 3 different distributors / sources, and with one of them there is a problem syncing inventory so it all auto-updates correctly and as frequent as possible.  The problem arises when importing products to my Shopify store.  Currently with Shopify, according to multiple forum posts by staff that I've seen, and from trying to do it myself, only one shipping origin is allowed.  To get multiple shipping origins set, an app is required...most of which cost monthly, and the free ones are not that good as far as I've seen with the ones I looked into.  It's worth it to check those apps.  But it's really a better idea to understand exactly what you need before trying one.

So, the problem with only one shipping origin is since it is not set to one of the active locations, the one it is not set to shows "Sold Out" in the online store.  It means inventory / stock is not being tracked for the source that isn't set to shipping origin (only one).  Test it and see if that's what results, simply with a new active location and creating one product, and making the one product available on the online store.  I don't know how others have set theirs correctly so it doesn't exclude multiple sources that are active locations, and have only one shipping origin.  In dropshipping, the shipping origin has to be set to my address (where I work from) in order to get tax calculations correct.  I would need it for correct shipping calculations, at checkout, but the distributors I'm sourcing from set the shipping rates that are final.  So, I include the cost of shipping in the product price, then set all products to free shipping.  It's the lowest shipping rate in every case.  In summary:

1)  Check that active location is set for each product, and shipping origin is the same location that isn't the secondary (non-Portugal) location.  It means products need to get inventory synced or set per item (rather than auto-update via an external app).  But without that app, as far as I know, it's not possible to sync and update inventory efficiently.

2)  Use the Bulk Editor (accessible from the Product list after clicking the sidebar "Products" link) to change source location ("Vendor" field that needs to be added before modifying).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Wow! Thank you very much for this amazing answer. 

I'll test of the suggestions you made.

0 Likes