Shipping rates based on weight and price

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 8

Hi,

I am quite new to Shopify but we have been very happy with it so far. One issue we have is with the manual shipping rates. I have checked the forum and not found a similar issue from another member.

We offer free delivery on most orders over £100, except for larger items which require pallet delivery. At the moment we have all of our shipping rates based on weight with the exception of the free shipping rate which is obviously based on price. What our customers are doing is selecting the free shipping option for the larger items which require pallet shipping, which we charge £50 for.

What we require is a shipping rate based on both price and weight so we can offer free shipping for orders over £100 on items weighing up to a certain weight.

Is this possible without using third party calculated rates?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 252 612

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Welcome and great to hear things are going well so far with your store, very good question also. 

I did some digging for you on this and I can confirm that with a manual shipping rate it can only be set either by weight or price and not both combined, unfortunately. I did some tests to see if I could make it work but to no avail.

There is, however, a workaround for this which could be the solution for you. I'm not sure how often you are expecting an order for the products with this particular weight and price range, but one way around it could be through creating a draft order. 

When creating a draft order you can create a custom shipping rate which would allow you to set whatever shipping cost you would like for said particular order. Shopify has a guide on how to do this with some visual examples which you can see here. If creating the draft order isn't something you feel would be a viable solution for you, then a third party calculated rate workaround might be the next best shout. 

Hope that helps and works for you. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions should you have any. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 8

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply. Cancelling, refunding then creating a draft order for the customer is a good workaround which we currently use, but it is not ideal.

Unfortunately third part calculated shipping is not an option as the cost of the Shopify Advanced plan is just not viable for us at the moment.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3395 252 612

Hello again, 

Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) is available on all Shopify plans but is already part of the Advanced plan. You can apply CCS to your store for $20 per month or it becomes free if you pay for your subscription annually. If this is something you think you might be interested in adding to help with your shipping rates, be sure to reach out to a member of the support team directly about this here

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Any updates on this?  We offer a $15 flat rate shipping option with Free Shipping over $175 across the US.  However, we do have some small items for Under $20 which we'd like to offer a $9 flat rate option.  I tried assigning weights to all our items and created a $9 flat rate option for items less than 1lb. but that option will not show up as a shipping option.  Can you offer any advice on how to do this?

If I switch all to weight based, then can I still offer free shipping over $175?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Hi there, I also have the same issue regarding using weights for products and free shipping over £75. Has there been an update to creating a draft order for free orders over a certain cost? you mentioned below: 

(3014 225 490)Hello again, 

Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) is available on all Shopify plans but is already part of the Advanced plan. You can apply CCS to your store for $20 per month or it becomes free if you pay for your subscription annually. If this is something you think you might be interested in adding to help with your shipping rates, be sure to reach out to a member of the support team directly about this here

All the best, Nick

We're based in the UK, so does this still apply for CCS?  We have an advanced plan

many thanks

Angela

0 Likes