Shipping rates based on zone and per item

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello community and thank you for any and all help.

Here is our situation:

We have 8 products that have a shipping fee.

We have 1 product we do not charge a shipping fee.

A customer can opt to pick up an item at the store for no fee.

We have two shipping zones:

In-state $17.50

Out of state $30

Customers can have a combination of in-state and out of state products per order.

How do I allow the customer to pick if they want in-state shipping or out of state per product ordered and add the appropriate shipping charge to checkout?  

Note: It is possible for them to order multiple quantities of the same product and we need the shipping charge to be added to check out each time

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 27 55

Hi, @DrBoulder.

Tira here, from Shopify Support.

This is a great question on charging shipping rates for different zones and adding them to checkout.

I'm happy to help you with some instructions on how you can set this up on your store.

Firstly, you'll need to make sure to set-up shipping on the products that you do want to show a shipping cost at checkout. To do this, you can follow these steps:

- Login to your admin 

- Click on "Products" and click on the checkboxes next to your products (including the one you don't want to charge a shipping fee)

- Click on "Edit Products"- this will take you to the bulk editor where you will see all of the selected products listed

- Click on "Add Fields" and next to "Shipping" click on the grey "Requires shipping" box

- A column will appear to the right to show whether shipping is checked off for the product, you can check off the boxes for the products you wish to add shipping to on your store

You can learn more about bulk editing products from our help doc here: Using the Bulk Editor.

Once you have these added to your products, you can then set-up your shipping zones.

To set-up your shipping zones, you can follow our help doc here: Setting Up Shipping Zones. In this help doc, you'll learn how to create a shipping zone by choosing the country and states that you want to ship your products to on your store.

You'll want to set-up a shipping rates for the in-state (select the state you wish to set-up the shipping zone for) and then another rate for the Out of state shipping zone with price-based rates. Price-based rates calculate rates by price, instead of the weight on your products. You can learn how to set these up, here: Setting up price-based rates.

After this has been set-up, the shipping rates will automatically show at checkout each time a customer places a product into their cart, and proceeds to checkout. It will be shown on the "Shipping" page confirmation screen.

Is that what you were looking to do? Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Thank you, @Tira :-)

I will test it out and let you know how it works.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

@Tira This sort of helped point me in a direction to create a work-a-round with an app and some custom coding for the holiday season.

I am still looking to create a permanent solution.

Here is the current scenario:

Order Flow

- Pick Product

- Is it a Gift? Yes - Who is it from? Who is it for? Add an optional gift message (200 characters)

Delivery Options

1 - pick up at the store - no shipping

2. - flat rate shipping to the continental US - shipping is per product

If multiple products ordered we want the ability for customers to ship to multiple addresses and have the ability to print out labels for each package. 

Prefer to use FedEx

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 27 55

Thank you for your reply, @DrBoulder.

What app are you using as a workaround, and what function does it have on your store? 

It sounds like you're looking for a solution to have the ability to use multiple labels as you're sending out packages to multiple addresses. Is that correct? Once I have the answers to your questions, I can look into this further for you and provide you with some resources.

I look forward to hearing from you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

@Tira 

We are currently using Product Options by Bold to create custom fields for check here if a gift which triggers -Who's it for? Gift Message? Check here for local pickup or shipping which each trigger additional fields as necessary.  All information shows up on the Shopify dashboard.

All products are listed as not-physical even though they are physical. This is because we are collecting shipping addresses at the product order level.

The problem with all of this is we then have to manually create shipping labels at the business.

I have found another app - Giftship which can handle the gift messaging and multiple addresses, however, it doesn't have a pick up local option. And then we would need to use a FedEx shipping label app to print labels.  As we add apps, we add monthly costs.

I am hoping to find a more streamline flow and lower monthly cost within Shopify.  I have begun to bid it out for WooCommerce and Magento - not our preferred option. Also looking at other SaaS solutions.

Let me know if we can accomplish this store within the Shopify environment without using multiple apps.  Can it be custom coded? (not ideal but could work)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Here is a flow chart of what we want to do.Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.26.18 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 27 55

Thank you for the additional information of what you're looking to do here. 

I understand that you are wanting to find a custom coding solution for your set-up instead of using apps. I recommend reaching out to a Shopify Expert to help you with this customization. Shopify Experts are Shopify Partners who have experience and knowledge in coding and can add customizations to your store. You can check out our Experts Marketplace here

If you want to try apps, you can alternatively look into these apps to print your labels and to have shipping available to multiple addresses. Here are my recommendations:

Parcelify  - This app allows you to schedule local pick-ups and can ship to different zip and postal codes. 

Better Shipping - You can restrict shipping to certain locations.

Shippo - This app has the ability to print multiple shipping labels at once.

If you require assistance or have any questions about these apps, you can contact the third-party developer directly using the information listed under the "Support" area of the app's page. 

I'm curious to see what suggestions the community has as well!

1 Like