Shipping rates on my UPS Account are wrong

Highlighted
4 0 0

I have the shipping setup to give rates based on my UPS Account. I had a customer emial me and complain about an item what cost way to much to ship based on the weight. I went to UPS, logged in using my account and they were correct.

I have tried multiple items and the rates on Shopify (which should be pulling rates based on my UPS Account) are always much higher than when I go to UPS and get a rate quote based on my account. 

I have the default box set to 1x1x1. Even when I put 4x4x4 and make it match on UPS the rates still differ

What is going on and how can I fix it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Also to be clear I have UPS setting to give customers rates based on my account not UPS standard list rates.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
152 9 34

What is likely happening is that you’re running into a core issue with Shopify Shipping; they don’t offer the ability to enter product dimensions. This causes incorrect rates to be pulled from UPS, since most couriers (including UPS) charge for shipping based on the dimensional weight of the shipment.

I encourage you to try out our shipping calculation app, Intuitive Shipping. You can enter dimensions for all your products, as well as input multiple box sizes. Our 4D boxing algorithm will calculate the appropriate size, weight, and number of boxes for an order for accurate live rates at checkout – and yes, you can absolutely enter your carrier account details to calculate shipping using your negotiated rates.

I notice on your shipping page that for larger orders, you ship via FedEx Freight, which we just integrated into Intuitive Shipping. We’re also integrated with USPS and regular FedEx as well.

We offer an unlimited trial in testing mode to give you a chance to play around and get everything set up accordingly, as well as a 14-day live trial.

Please reach out if you have any questions at support@intuitiveshipping.com

Cheers,
Joel

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted

Just to simplify the concept, shipping rates are calculated based on a variety of factors and not just the weight. The following factors are responsible for calculation of shipping rates at checkout : 
- Shipper address

- Destination address

- weight of shipment

- dimensions of the shipment

Using the weight and dimensions, a carrier calculates the volumetric weight and then calculates the rates for it. So, in order for a solution to correctly calculate the volumetric weight, it should accept dimensions. Since Shopify does not have a way to add that, you need to use a solution like Multi carrier shipping label app for Shopify Shipping

In addition to shipping rates at checkout, you would also need to generate labels, request pickups, generate manifests and track shipments which are provided by the above solution.

0 Likes