Shipping seems incredibly high on my store.

1 0 0

Hi there,

I just launched my store about a month ago, but I'm having a bit of trouble with shipping. Customers are paying up to $10 for shipping an Adult Small hoodie. I'm using 14.5x.19 poly mailers to ship. Is that a normal shipping price from AZ to TN? That seems absurd. How can I drive this cost down?

Thanks,

Cole

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
440 23 63
Hey, Cole. 

This is Dallas from the Social Care Team here at Shopify. 

Are you wondering about how to change the shipping rates that your customer sees when they go through the checkout or are you wondering how you can actually lower the price of shipping a package? The reason that I ask is that Shopify is just the eCommerce platform you use to sell your items. We don't actually control the rates that you'll have to pay for shipping in the end. What you're going to want to do is to talk with your local post office to see if there are any ways to lower the cost of shipping. Have you talked with them yet to be sure that your weights and prices are an accurate representation of what the cost will be when you ship your orders? Sometimes there are small business discounts that can lower the price of shipping. 

Here in Canada, where my personal business was shipping from, I used Canada Post. I had a small business number associated with Canada Post so that I was able to get a percentage off shipping each box. If you're shipping from the USA you could try and do the same thing. I took a look and I see that USPS has a small business program dedicated to creating more reasonable prices for small businesses using their platform. 

Then with that, you could look into what is called Third Party Carrier Calculated Shipping or CCS for short. This allows Shopify to retrieve shipping rates directly from carriers via their web APIs for your customers to receive real-time shipping rates. If you're in the USA you can connect to FedEx, UPS or USPS.  

• Sign-up for the Advanced Shopify plan.
  • Add CCS for an additional $20/month to the Basic Shopify or Shopify plan.
  • Sign-up for any Annual plan of at least 12 months. Then we can add CCS for free as a thank you for choosing Annual.

Do you think this is something that you would be interested in?

Another thing you might want to try is incorporating the shipping prices into the product so the shipping is covered, that way you can advertise free shipping. With this option shipping rates are always covered, and you can market free shipping as a selling point. Just make sure that you add the optimized shipping prices.

If however, you're just looking for information on how to change the rates that you're seeing on your checkout then you can go to your Store Admin, click on Settings > Shipping and make any adjustments that you need there. This link has more information regarding both price based shipping rates or weight-based shipping rates. I'm not sure what one you have attached to your store so I gave the link to both of them. 

If you have any more questions at all please let me know. Does that information answer your question? 
Cheers,

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes