Shipping weight calculating wrong

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
49 0 14

Hi All,

I am very confused here.

I have a product which has a weight of 0.05kg

That product is the only product in a shipping profile which dictates the following:

0kg - 0.05kg = £1.20

0.06kg - 0.10kg = £2.40

0.11kg - 0.15kg = £3.60

0.16kg - 0.20kg = £4.80

0.21kg and up = £5.00

So a customer just ordered 2 of these products, which means the shipping weight should be 0.10kg making the shipping cost £2.40. BUT they were charged £5.00 shipping and on the order page it says the shipping weight is 0.287kg.

Anybody got any idea why this is happening??

Here is a document with screenshots hosted in my OneDrive to look at: https://1drv.ms/b/s!As-i-jhqtkD2huN9RRDcT2Ms5_sPqw?e=iyKWBy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 1 0

@Gareth_Doherty1  Please ensure that you are referring to the same variant. 

Co-Founder / CEO @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
49 0 14

@Mirdas both variants of this product have a weight of 0.05kg and both variants are on the shipping profile.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
49 0 14

Anyone got any ideas on this? Is it something I might need to raise with Shopify Suport?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

@Gareth_Doherty1  Did you add a package type?

The default package is used to calculate the shipping rates at checkout. So the weight of the default package will be added to the order weight. 

Co-Founder / CEO @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
49 0 14

@Mirdas you are spot on. I had no clue about the package type. I have set the default package weight to 0 so it doesn't add anything to my shipping weight.

0 Likes
Highlighted

To add to this topic, note that default package settings are applied globally to all shipping profiles. I need to have a default package with weight included in my carrier-calculated shipping profile, but I want to have a different default package with my print-on-demand items (essentially, no default package). 

I was on chat with Shopify support, and was told this is not currently possible. Which is frustrating. 

I think this is an oversight from the setup before they implemented shipping profiles. It made sense to set up the default package in the main settings. But now, with shipping profiles, there should be a setting for a default package on a per-profile basis. 

They obviously didn't fully think this through. Would like to see it fixed. But not holding my breath. 

I was told that we need to contact Shopify directly about feature requests, so use the chat/email/phone support and request. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes