Shipstation with multiple Shopify Locations - What's your workflow?

Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 3

I'm looking at moving to Shipstation to manage orders for 2 different shopify stores that sell inventory from two shared warehouses and was under the impression that I would be able to sort the orders by inventory location, but it appears that that isn't the case.

Is there a work around for this issue so that my staff doesn't waste time looking for products that they don't have in inventory? 

If I fill an order from the "wrong" location in ship station, what happens on the shopify side ? 

I'm not wedded to ship station so if there is a platform that has similar features but solves the location problem I'd love to know about it. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi there,

I'd love to find out as well. We are in a similar situation.

Thanks,

Ben

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 3

there wasn't a super simple answer, I ended up setting up an azure function script to check for shipping location per item on shopify from SS. if all items on an order match, I assign the matching "ship from" location, if they don't I add a tag called "manually split" and just have staff do it. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 10
can you share a bit more about how you setup the azure function script? We have the same issue and can't believe there is not a simple solution to get the location from Shopify to SS. 
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 3

If you're comfortable with some basic programming the Azure portion isn't terribly difficult but I can help with that if you're not. The basic logic is like this: 

1. Shipstation (ss) receives an order notification from Shopify and creates an order, I have a preset where it tags all new orders as "location not set" 
  2. SS sends a webhook to the azure function to notify that it created a new order, it sends over the shopify orderID as part of this
  3. the function queries Shopify using the orderID for the full order details including the "fulfillment orders" field 
  4. it takes the returned data and removes FF orders with no quantity and those that are unshipable (eg gift cards) 
  5. If the remaining FF orders have the same warehouse ID -> lookup what "ship from" location this ID matches in SS and assign that ID (all FForders must have the same ID) 
  6. if the remaining FF orders do not have the same warehouse ID, then it adds a tag "manual split required" 
  7. it then writes the modified data back to SS 

For my setup, this handles > 90% of our orders so I didn't bother trying to figure out how to automatically split orders with multiple ship-from locations but that would be a logical next step. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
31 0 2

Hi, 

some Shopify Merchants are using our Order Tagger app to perform a few tasks that might help your required workflow within ShipStation. It appears that you've come up with a decent solution, but thought I would also offer an alternative route.

Here are some of the tagging actions  that Order Tagger can perform to help out in this respect:

1. Tag orders where only one fulfilment location has been assigned by Shopify, e.g. tag with single_fulfilment

2. Tag orders where more than one fulfilment location has been assigned by Shopify, e.g. tag with split_fulfilment

3. Tag orders automatically with the name of the fulfilment location assigned (either a single or multiple tags will be applied depending on how many fulfilment locations are in the order)

To get those tags across into ShipStation, Order Tagger tags can also be appended to the Shopify Order Notes field. The Order Notes field can be read by ShipStation when importing Shopify orders.

We have an article that explains how to use ShipStation Tags and Automations to then map the tags that appear in the Order Notes filed into the ShipStation order record as tags.

Quite a few Merchants have found this very useful for identifying split fulfilments, so hopefully, it offers another solution for being able to sort orders in ShipStation by the fulfilment location.

Order and Customer Tagger apps for Shopify
0 Likes