Shopify Chip and swipe reader constantly disconnecting

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi,

I am having a major problem with the chip and swipe reader.  It disconnects from the blue tooth constantly. Between every transaction, or if its idle for just a couple of minutes. I have to reset the reader multiple times to get it to work. Sometimes it will seem like it is conencted and i put a chip card in and it does nothing, then tries to initialize and then finally times out and says no reader is connected.  I have tried two different readers and two different Ipads all with the same problem. I used the reader two weeks ago with no problems.  Shopify gurus have sent new readers again, but i really tend to doubt i got two busted readers when it worked perfectly find two weeks ago. One of them I just opened yesterday. Something just doesnt make sense. 

All apps are updated, all IOS are updated.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting. Has anyone expeirenced this?  I was very excited to switch to shopify POS to keep my website and in person inventory insync etc, but the last two days have been almost impossible to conduct buinses efficiently :(

Any insight would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

anyone have any answers?  im so frustrated. i had to deal wth this for a week straight trying to use my reader.

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

I’m having this same problem with my card reader and my iPhone. Everything is updated.

I’m not sure what triggers the disconnect. I think it was mentioned there’s an iOS bug when the phone locks, it disrupts the connection. I have to turn off/on the reader for it to connect again.

Having to manually enter in card details is not cool and makes me question why I spent the money on the reader.

Some googling uncovered this 10 month old thread:

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-point-of-sale/t/loosing-bluetooth-connection-471304

10 months ya’ll. 

Edit: Wanted to add that I’ve been playing around with the card reader tonight. Still disconnecting if I leave it and my phone to idle and lock. It will also disconnect while I’m actively using the POS app. C’mon, guys. Get this bug down. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Can someone from shopify please chime in.  Clearly this is not an isolted incident.  I feel like i have gotten the run around every time i call in.  I have events coming up and need to be able to run cards consistantly and not have to turn it on and off every time.

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Just make them keep sending you readers. I got a second reader for free through the POS app. (Why I wasn't offered a free one to begin with is a whole other subject, but doesn't matter now.)

Anyway, my second reader works a lot better. Not 100%, but better. It stays connected while my phone is unlocked at least.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

I too have had this issue. I'm getting very discouraged. I'm seeing this thread is 5 months old. Any solutions yet? I'm on my third replacement and it can't possibly be that I'm doing something wrong. Everything is updated.

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

The one thread I found that most closely resembled our problem(which is about a year old at this point), Shopify blamed a bug on Apple/iOS software. I don’t remember if Android had the same problem. They obviously are just waiting for someone else to fix it for them, and their hardware will automagically work after that. 

I may have to consider getting a different reader in the future. I would like to do several art/craft shows throughout the year, and doing the actual transaction is the worst part about selling my work now. :(

Bad Shopify. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, everyone. 

Peter here from Shopify Support. 

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention and I apologize for the delay in having our support follow up on this thread. After speaking with our POS developers they've informed me that a fix is in the works to help resolve the issues you're experiencing. We will be releasing a firmware update for the reader with the fix soon which should trigger a pop-up in the POS app as soon as it available. In the meantime, they recommended keeping the reader plugged in as this significantly reduces the frequency of disconnections.

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Good to hear. Thanks for a reply finally. Except what what are we supposed to keep a Bluetooth card reader plugged into?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, KM!

Totally valid question and I apologize for not making that clearer in my original response. By keeping the reader plugged in, we are referring to keeping the reader connected to its charger while processing payments. This may not be the best workaround depending on your setup, however, this should help reduce the connection issues if you're able to keep it attached to a power source. 

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes