Shopify INCORRECTLY rejecting UK Postal Code

Proudly
Tourist
9 0 0

It's happened a number of times now. When trying to enter address information, customers can't complete checkout because of error from Shopify: 

Enter a valid ZIP / postal code for United Kingdom

There is nothing wrong with the postcode, which can be validated with Royal Mail Postcode lookup.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 11.19.13.png

0 Likes
Proudly
Tourist
9 0 0

Is anyone from Shopify attending these forums - we are losing customers and orders because of this. Valid postcodes are being rejected. How can I solve this?

Thanks

0 Likes
sai6
Shopify Partner
11 2 2

Hi,
 Ask your customer the address which they are trying to give is verified by carrier service.
If it's not a verified account it may show an error.
Also, check the shipping zones set up in the Shopify store. 

0 Likes
Proudly
Tourist
9 0 0

This is resolved - Shopify changed definition of UK, and excluded Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man, which now need to be added manually to shipping zones. AND then selected by customer from dropdown list (they are no longer part of the UK!!!!!) - an odd move from Shopify to say the least.

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @Proudly,

Thanks for getting in touch. A change was recently made to the UK shipping zone, which now means rather than being a singular bloc, the zone can now be divided by the constituent countries of the UK—England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland—as well as the British Armed Forces. However, prior to this change, the crown dependencies of the Isle of Man, Jersey, and Guernsey were already listed as individual "countries" within Shopify and should not have been influenced by this change to the UK shipping zone.

I am pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved, but if you experience any further problems or have any questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Proudly
Tourist
9 0 0

Hi @Victor, thanks for the info.

However your summary doesn't cover it.

Customers were previously able to use a Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man postcode under United Kingdom territory. Now their postcode won't be recognised until they select eg Isle of Man from dropdown list. This has led to an increase in customer confusion, and more customer service inquiries. Quite a big practical difference.

Hope this distinction might help other customers facing similar issues.

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @Proudly,

Okay, thank you for clarifying this. I have passed your comments onto our development team who are continuing to work on this.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes