Shopify Payments Fees - Foreign Charges

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 4

In my Shopify Admin, Under Shopify Payments, it shows me the following rates for all cards Domestic & Rest of World -

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 14.06.51.png

However, in the Shopify Payments Terms it states an additional 1.75% for foreign transactions -

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 14.06.58.png

So what is it 1.6% + 0.20p across the board, or are you charging an additional 1.75% on foreign transactions?

This is really not clear and very deceptive if you are charging extra for this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
730 77 131

Hey, @kickgame!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Great question and thank you for providing those screenshots. The 1.75% is the FX exchange rate (currency conversion fees) we charge when a merchant is selling in a different currency to their payout currency.

With this feature, merchants can still only select one selling currency per shop, merchants can still only receive payouts in one currency per shop and merchants will be charged fees in the same currency they receive payouts in.

If you are being charged the foreign exchange rate, then you can always access the FX rate for orders in the order timeline, if you expand the line item with the payout information.

We have a guide on this in our help centre here so make sure to have a read of that.

I hope this helps clear it up a bit for you but please let me know if you have any further questions. I am always happy to help.

Kind regards, 
Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there

Just following on from this, a customer paying in $ said they were charged an international transaction fee due to my bank account being in £.

Can you please advise as to how I can ensure my customers aren't being charged an international transaction fee? Would limiting the payment method to Paypal resolve this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
730 77 131

Hi, @ewendeavours.

Thanks for joining the thread. Hm, this seems a bit strange. Any fees charged to the customer would be shown in the order timeline. If it is a foreign exchange rate from their bank then there wouldn't be a lot you could do about that. I can certainly take a look into this for you if you are using the Shopify payments gateway. If it isn't the Shopify Payments gateway then I would check this out with your payment provider directly and they might be able to offer some insight. 

Let me know if it is the Shopify Payments gateway you have and I will verify your account and take a closer look.

Thank you,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

@Lu 

Yes I have noticed this aswell.

Many customers complain about a foreign transaction fee from Shopify payments.

Can someone please get this sorted out and stop happening

It doesn't happen with other payment processors.

If a customer is paying in USD from the USA they would not be expecting at all to be paying a foreign transaction fee

Thanks

0 Likes