Shopify Payments: payout failed due to refund

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

We received message today that our payout failed. We schedule payouts daily but yesterday have negative payout balance due to refund amount greater than new sales. Our bank account link (apparently) does not allow withdrawals. I understand Shopify Payments will retry again or I could manually retry. My question is how long will Shopify Payments allow the negative balance to exist before putting hold on our account?

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 160

Hi, there. 

Dallas here from the Social Care Team here at Shopify. 

I am more than happy to help clarify this for you. So when it comes to putting your account on hold the biggest reason is to do with failed payments rather than payouts. If you have a card attached to your account, but you don't have any funds in that card the three times that we try and charge your card then your account will be frozen until you pay the outstanding balance. 

We don't actually put accounts on hold for your payouts. If you had a payout scheduled then it will be sent out, but if the amount you're set to receive changes because of the refund then the payout will be adjusted accordingly. For something like that you don't have to worry because the Shopify Payments details update automatically. 

Based on my understanding of your question that should clarify what you were asking, but if you still have more questions please let me know! 

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes