Shopify Payments problem with SSN

Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 1

Hey

I want to use Shopify Payments and I am selling things in the USA but I do not live there so I don't have SSN - what should I put in the "Last 4 digits of SSN" field ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 0 4

Hi there Snoopp!

Mairead here from Shopify!

In order to use Shopify Payments, your business will need to be registered in the United States through EIN or have a SSN for the U.S. to sell goods through that gateway. 

You will need to use an alternate gateway which is supported in your country. Currently Shopify Payments is available only to stores in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Australia.

If there is anything further I can do, please let me know :)

Have a great day!

Mairead
*Shopify Guru*

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 1

Oh, what a pity.

I want to keep customers on my Shopify checkout page rather than transfer them to 3rd party payment sites.

What will be the best option in that case?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 1

@Mairead ? :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there!

Our business is registered in the US, and we have EIN. But when installing shopify payments it is still asking for my personal SSN. How can we skip this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

What was your soultion to this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
253 1 22

Hi all!

My name is John and I'm a Guru here at Shopify!

As stated earlier in this thread; it would be necessary to prove your United States citizenship in order to apply to use Shopify Payments there.

If you are not a US citizen you can still apply to use any of the other gateways available in the USA to take payments in your store.

Some of these gateways will be direct, meaning they are fully integrated to your Shopify checkout and customers do not navigate away from Shopify when paying.

Others will be indirect, or external; meaning the payment gateway opens in a new window where the customer makes their payment.

You can see a partial list of direct vs external gateways here though to be completely certain of how a given gateway works you would need to reach out to the specific company running that gateway. :)

Best of luck with everything here!

Regards,
John

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

some people said that i can put the last 4 digits of (EIN) instead of SSN if i am not american citizen , is that correct ?

0 Likes