Shopify Shipping Brings Calculated Rates to All Shopify Plans

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

Exciting news: If you are located in the US or Canada, you can now show calculated USPS or Canada Post rates to customers at checkout. Calculated shipping is free and available on all plans. Read the blog post to learn more.

If you have the $20/month add on, you can remove the charge by re-selecting your plan from the Shopify admin. Please note that if you are using UPS or FedEx, you will still need the add on or be on the Advanced Shopify plan.

Highlighted
2 0 1

Can you please clarify the charges?

I'm a Canadian store charging Canadian $, my customers will pay in CAD. I get billed in USD, I assume that shipping will be billed in USD. Will you adjust the USD rate to reflect the exchange rate so that I don't get burned?

Ironically, Shopify is a Canadian company, not so Canadian though I guess...

Highlighted
Tourist
26 0 3

"If you have the $20/month add on, you can remove the charge by re-selecting your plan from the Shopify admin. Please note that if you are using UPS or FedEx, you will still need the add on or be on the Advanced Shopify plan."

So why isn't this available to those of us for the basic plan? It should be because shipping is an integral part of online business!  Oh wait maybe because Shopify is greedy and wants to make those new to online ecommerce lives difficult.  Very poor way of giving a new client an incentive to keep using Shopify. 

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

@Brooke -- hear you loud and clear on your request for billing in local currency. You can add a slight mark up to your shipping rates (% or $) to cover the exchange costs. In shipping settings, visit the zones & rates, click edit, then edit calculated rates.

@CoolPremier -- this is our good news! USPS / Canada Post rates are now available on all of our plans, including Basic. Here's how to enable it: https://help.shopify.com/manual/shipping/shopify-shipping/existing-merchants

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Is there functionality for handling multiple packages for one item?  For example if a customer orders an item that ships in more than one box and other items cannot be combined into those boxes-is it possible to properly calculate shipping costs for that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

@ Thea So it's normal to be a Canadian retailer and charged USD?

I am really disappointed with Shopify's LACK OF TRANSPARENCY. I don't understand why I am charging and paying canadian prices for shipping, then on my monthly bill for my transactions being charged additional HST for my postage costs and then being billed in USD. It feels very dishonest.

I thought I was saving time and money using Shopify's shipping but it turns out that is not the case. 

And your solution of marking up shipping costs doesn't solve this problem. 

And what is the 26$ supscription fee? I can't find this information anywhere. This fee wasn't presented to me when I first signed up. Will it always be refunded every month? 

I hope this post doesn't feel like an attack, but if I was going to be charged in US dollars for buying canadian postage from Shopify I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD right away so I could have made an informed choice. I am a small business and every penny counts!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

@Nancy -

Appreciate your feedback re: currency. Shopify currently only supports billing in USD for all of our products (monthly subscription, shipping labels, app fees etc). For your subscription question, I'll send you a quick email to explain what that is.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

@Thea.

Thank-you Thea.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
26 0 2

@thea

Any chance Shopify is working on Per supplier/per fulfillment method shipping zones and rates?  This would dramatically help with drop-shipping and third-party fulfillment.

Ben | mobileiGo.com
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

@Ben Interesting use case. If Shopify supported per product shipping rates, would that solve this for you or are there other benefits to per supplier/fulfillment on shipping zones?

0 Likes