Shopify Transaction Fees question:

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello all, I just have a quick question regarding the transaction fees.  As I understand it, there is a 0% transaction fee when using shopify payments.  If that is the case, why was I charged for a transaction fee?  

Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 1 25

Hi Tyler,

Jamie here from Shopify. There are two types of fees that you can/will pay on an order with Shopify: transaction fees and/or credit card processing rates to your payment gateway. Transaction fees do not apply for merchants that are using Shopify payments. For example, if I am using Authorize.net as my credit card gateway, I will pay any applicable credit card processing rates to Authorize as well as the %1 transaction fee to Shopify (because I am on the Professional Plan). This Shopify Doc goes over understanding where Transaction fees are applicable. Credit Card procesing rates are still very much applicable for orders taken using Shopify paymnets. You can see the break down of Shopify Paymnets credit card processing fees on our Pricing Page

• Shopify Payments Enabled: I will pay applicable credit card rates for Shopify Payments orders, and will not pay any additional transaction fees for manual or alternative payment methods such as Cash on Deliver, Bank Deposit or PayPal.
  • Shopify Payments is not Enabled: I will pay transaction fees on all orders that take place in my online checkout as well as any applicable credit card rates to my third party payment processors. 

I hope that helps!

Highlighted
3 0 0

So if I'm understanding it correctly, that fee is coming from the Credit Card rate, not the Transaction Fee?  Is that correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 1 25

You got it! The fees listed in your Shopify Payments account are your credit card processing fees, not transaction fees. 

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Jaime C, 

Just found this thread and had a few questions. My client is considering moving their online store to Shopify. They will be using Authorize.net, and I just want to make sure exactly what fees they will be paying. I know there are fees attached to their Authorize.net account, and i see there is also the 1% transaction fee for using external payment gateways, but will they also be paying the 2.6% + 30¢ online credit card rates seen in the pricing page, or this is taken care of via Authorize.net? 

Thank You. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 1 25

@thecreep, 

Credit Card processing fees are payable directly to the payment gateway (ie. Shopify Payments or Authorize.net) while transaction fees are payable to Shopify when Shopify Payments is not enabled on an account. Your client will *not* pay Shopify Payments Credit Card processing fees on orders not taken using Shopify Payments, only applicable credit card rates from the gateway and our transaction fee for using a third party payment gateway.  

I hope that helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi

So if transactions fees are applied when consumer use credit cards, then why was I charge 2% of my first sale when the customer used Paypal to pay?
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Basically I need to pay 1% transaction fee even if I’m using Authorize.net?

0 Likes