Shopify and POD / Order and Payout - flow of money?

Highlighted
3 0 0

What is the flow of money?

customer to shopify - to me, who then pays the print on demand company? 
If so, can shopify send me the money in USD to my USD bank account in the UK?

Or is shopify sending the money to the POD who then pays me the profit?

Of interest I will be using two POD companies, Customcat and Gooten.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
727 57 89

Hi, Podclass!

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us! :-) 

When an order comes through to your Shopify admin, your chosen payment gateway will let you know if the payment from the customer was received successfully. You can always check this within the 'timeline' of an order on Shopify, as shown here. 

If a customer successfully pays $9 for an order, the payment gateway will release the customer's payment directly to your bank account within a few days. All payment gateways have a 'payout' period. So, if you are using Shopify Payments and are based in the UK, there is a 4 day payout period as mentioned here.  If you are using a different gateway, you will need to reach out to them for more information. 

A gateway will not separate the profit of an order as you mentioned above, however, they may charge transaction fees or credit card rates to your monthly invoice. Check out our own Shopify Payments guide here as an example for how this would apply to your monthly invoice. Shopify Payments cannot accept USD payments if you are based in the UK. The gateway can only accept and transfer GBP to your account as mentioned in this guide. If you are using a different gateway such as Paypal, you would need to reach out to them for more info. Here is our full list of gateways you could connect with, based on your location. 

When an order comes through to your admin; your POD company's Shopify app can either pick up the order's information directly and ship it automatically to the customer for you, or else you will need to order it manually from them via their Shopify app. Your POD company will normally ask you to enter your credit card details to set up an account. They will then issue you a separate charge every time their service is used. 

CustomCat offers a few tutorials here on how to get started with it's set up if you would like to take a look. By default, CustomCat will automatically batch process your orders at half past every even hour (EST). You can pause this process by selecting "No" from the drop-down within their app directly. They advise that processing will only resume when you set option back to "Yes".

It looks like the Gooten app also offers automatic fulfilment too. More info can be found within this guide under 'How the Gooten Shopify App Works'.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know, we're happy to help!

Happy selling!   
Ted

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
My concern is, ifmoney is removed from my account before the order payment is deposited I could go in the negative potentially if many orders are placed. Should I have a credit card linked instead. How much money should I have in an account. Is there a way to only have the money removed after the payment is deposited?
0 Likes