Shopify payments, about currency conversion fee

Highlighted
2 0 0

My credit card can be charged in US dollars, but using shopify forces me to charge Hong Kong dollars and it cost me about 1.5% currency conversion fee.
This fee is very high, how can I charge USD directly without conversion?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2892 211 471

Hi @Link_4810,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I did some investigation and spoke to someone on our financial services team about this for you. They mentioned if you are selling in a different currency that is different from your payout currency, conversion fees will be incurred. You can change your selling currency, but they cannot change their payout currency. The payout currency always has to be your home/domestic currency for no currency conversion fees. 

You can see this in the Shopify help documentation below: 

20-04-kjo83-l3hic

You can see this and more information about this all here

Can I ask what currency is your prime currency and which one you have set it to? 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you for your reply.

My sales currency is US dollars. Customers can pay in US dollars.

Although my store address is Hong Kong China, my credit can accept US dollars, which means I can set US dollars as the payment currency.

I want to set the currency to US dollars so that I don't need to pay an extra 1.5%. But this option is not selectable as the pic shows.

image.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2892 211 471

No worries at all @Link_4810. I hope it helped. 

Thanks for breaking this down further. That's exactly why there is a conversion fee as you're mixing the currencies up a bit there. You're getting paid in HKD. That's the only currency you can be paid out in when operating from Hong Kong. Your selling currency is USD. Which is why you are being charged the conversion fee. To avoid any conversion fees you would need to be paid out in HKD in this case, with any other currencies it wouldn't be possible to avoid the fee. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes