Shopify payments

Highlighted
8 0 0

Hello,

I have a webstore here on Shopify but I do not want Shopify to process payments until AFTER I receive an order through my store and send an invoice.

Is there a way to do this?

I deactivated the Shopify payment options so once I receive an order and can verify availability, I then send an invoice to the customer for payment through Shopify.

But since, I deactivated Shopify payments, when I send the invoice, there is no way for the customer to pay through that invoice since I have Shopify payments deactivated.

For now I make an invoice in Paypal and then send it to the customer since this doesn't work through Shopify.

Thank you

James Dubay

Hot Tracks Music Store

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hey, James! 

Julie here from Shopify Support. 

This is definitely something you can do through Shopify and it's actually quite easy to set up! Based on the fact that your customers are being charged during the checkout process, it sounds like you have automatic payment capture enabled; this is how most stores process transactions, but through your payment settings, you can instead choose to manually capture payment later

To set this up, just head on over to Settings > Payments, where you'll notice a Payment capture section. Here, you'll want to make sure that you select the option to Manually capture payment for orders. Once this option is enabled, you'll receive orders as per usual, but payments won't be processed until you capture the payment, which you can do directly within each individual order in the Orders section of your admin. This will then charge the credit card that your customer entered during the checkout process. If you need to capture payment for multiple orders, then you can also choose to do a bulk action on your orders to capture payment.

It's important to note, however, that if you are capturing payments manually, you will have to capture the payment for each order before the authorization period for that order ends. The length of the authorization period depends on your credit card payment provider, and while I can't speak to third-party gateways like PayPal, the authorization period for Shopify Payments is 7 days. Once this period ends, you won't be able to collect any money for an order unless you reach out to the customer to process their order again.

When you enable manual payment capture, you'll also see the option to receive warning emails before the authorization period for each order ends. This is only an option if you are using Shopify Payments, so I would highly recommend reactivating this gateway. Not only will you be able to receive these warning emails, you'll also save you money on transaction fees.

I hope this provides you with a solution that will work well for your business. Let me know what you think!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes