Shopify shipping changes?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi 

Is shopify shipping (production of usps labels) working properly? We're seeing quite a big difference from last week. I know some usps shipping costs have gone up but it's the percentage discounts which have changed.

We're seeing small first class packages (small padded envelope) giving 20% discount but a Priority Mail small flat rate box at a little over 4% discount (down from perhaps 12%). 

Many thanks

V

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

Hi there V --

Thanks for flagging -- we'll look into the rates and share an update soon.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 5

You should mention your account type, as the charges do vary. The more you pay monthly, the less you pay per package.

I will add, however, that I am seeing something similar with DHL. 

Even with Plus, which is supposed to get the very lowest rates, I am unable to replicate even the higher rates advertised for lower level Advanced accounts on DHL shipping.

As a test, I set up my from address as one from NY, then used to addresses in all the same locations, 1lb package, same as in Shopify’s advertised rates. Despite setting things up exactly the same as Shopify advertises, I get higher rates than advertised every single time.

https://www.shopify.com/shipping/dhl-express

So I think they need to look at fixing the DHL rates, too. The rates have probably been entered incorrectly for Plus and Advanced, at the very least

Thea and other Shopify employees, please investigate and fix, too. Something is a bit screwy with the rates 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

USPS changed their rates on Januray 21st 2018.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
47 0 22

Hey everyone! Hoping to shed some light on this here,

Ved: 

Thanks for your question. Our discounts aren't necessarily proportionate before and after the rate changes, when compared to retail rates. While we will continue to offer the best rates available on Priority Mail, USPS has changed the discount structure available as a percentage discount off retail which has caused fluctuation before and after the 2018 rate change. Sorry for any confusion this has caused! If you have any other specific examples you'd like to talk through, please contact us at support@shopify.com with specifics and we'd be happy to take a look into it for you.

Oculus: 

DHL rates displayed in the help center are base rates, excluding fuel surcharge - the rates returned when purchasing labels include fuel surcharge on every shipment. Additionally, the package size you have selected will influence the rates you're charged, if the volumetric weight exceeds the actual package weight. We do appreciate your feedback and will use it to make the help center more clear that our sample rates exclude the fuel surcharge - thank you! If there are specific examples you'd like to discuss relating to this, please reach out to us at support@shopify.com and we can take a look through them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 5

Thanks for the clarification, Elissa.

I have the very smallest package size selected. The store sells very tiny objects, so the rates will actually be the lowest possible.

As your published examples do not include the fuel surcharges, I'm interested to know what the % off is for Plus, which is what I'm working with now.

As I will likely serve more clients on lower end plans (I specialize in small businesses nowadays), I'd also like to know what the % off is supposed to be for Advanced.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted

Just to update on this, there has been a rate change from USPS post Jan 27th 2019. As per the new changes : 

The proposed Mailing Services price changes include:

Product
Letters (1 oz.)
Letters additional ounces
Letters (metered 1 oz.)
Outbound International Letters (1 oz.)
Domestic Postcards  

Current
50 cents
21 cents
47 cents
$1.15
35 cents

Proposed
55 cents
15 cents
50 cents
$1.15
35 cents

The proposed domestic Priority Mail Retail Flat Rate price changes are:

Product
Small Flat Rate Box
Medium Flat Rate Box
Large Flat Rate Box
APO/FPO Large Flat Rate Box
Regular Flat Rate Envelope
Legal Flat Rate Envelope
Padded Flat Rate Envelope

Current
$7.20
$13.65
$18.90
$17.40
$6.70
$7.00
$7.25

Proposed
$7.90
$14.35
$19.95
$18.45
$7.35
$7.65
$8.00

I just posted in case, there is anyone else experiencing rate changes post 2019. Alternatively, if you have your own account and are getting heavy discounts, then you may be very slightly hit by the changes. Multi Carrier Shipping label app can allow you to use your own USPS account in Shopify and perform Order fulfilment. 

0 Likes