Show Refund but Not Refund

Tourist
8 0 1

A customer returned an item that they purchased in November of last year. I have already issued a refund via PayPal to this customer. I want to show a refund in shopify, but I'm afraid to press the refund button (paid originally through PayPal) because of the long time for her return. So how do I show a return (for bookeeping purposes and reports on Shopify) but not issue a another refund through PayPal?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
824 45 135

Hey, @wnenkow!

When processing a refund for an order that is placed through Shopify, then it would require that the refund be processed through the Shopify admin to successfully mark the order as refunded. In this case, processing a refund through Shopify will tell Paypal to refund the customer which will result in a double refund. As you wouldn't want that to happen, the order will need to remain in the "paid" status as it can't be manually marked as refunded. For this, you'll want to make note of the order and adjust your books accordingly to reflect that a refund took place. In the future, it would be best to process the refund through Shopify directly vs processing the refund outside of Shopify to avoid any errors with bookkeeping or incorrect payment status. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Peter,

But can I manually edit the Order to appear as other status then Paid if it isn't "Refunded"? Like "Not Paid" or "Pendent"?

Thank you

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
824 45 135

@brunohashmark 

Editing orders isn't yet possible, however; if you create a draft order, then you should be able to show a "pending" payment status until you mark the item as paid, or your customer processes the order through the Shopify checkout. If this doesn't match what you need, then feel free to provide details on what it is you're hoping to set up and why it's essential for your business. With those details in hand, I can ensure your feedback is escalated up to our Products team for further review. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Peter,

Sorry for taking so long to pick this topic up again. When I do press refund within Shopify (customer has paid through PayPal) it has NEVER appeared in PayPal as a refund. I usually have to go to PayPal and manually issue the deposit. Don't know if it's just my account (set up incorrectly perhaps) or if this happens to others. But it has never refunded my client.

Bonnie

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
824 45 135

@wnenkow 

Not a problem! If you open an order that has been refunded via Paypal, then scroll down to the order timeline, does the refund appear as successful or failed? Whether it appears successful or failed, could you click on the refund line and tell me if you see an error appear in the information that is expanded?

0 Likes