Significant Bug in Shopify Shipping - affects Digital products and Services

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Folks, please be aware there is a bug is Shopify which I'm working through with support but at the moment making no progress.  This bug is completely reproduceable and the result is incorrect shipping totals for your customers.

Against every product/variant we define if a product requires shipping through the checkbox "This product requires shipping".  We can then use either weight-based shipping rules, price-based shipping, or the many integrated options etc.

Shopify have provided guides on the use of this checkbox to disable shipping for Digitial Downloads, and selling Services.

When a cart contains only items which are flagged as 'Requires Shipping' the calculated shipping is accurate.  When the cart contains only items which are flagged as not 'Requires Shipping' the calculations are also correct.

If your customer has a mixed cart with some items flagged for 'Requires Shipping' and some flagged for not 'Requires Shipping' then the whole cart total (price or weight) will be used for shipping calculations.  The system will ignore the product/variant settings and charges shipping for everything in the cart.

This is a big deal if you're using price-based shipping and selling physical goods with a service fee.  Shipping will be charged on the service fee, or associated digitial download along with the physical goods.

Support have yet to confirm that they believe this is a bug and it is currently preventing my clients store from Go Live.  Please be aware as this may be affecting your store.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
227 0 23

IceBear, thanks for calling this to our attention. The issue has been raised with our development team -- will share an update when we have one.

Highlighted
Excursionist
104 0 12

That's pretty dumb, I hope they can fix this or other ecommerce platforms that don't have this handicap will be winning.   

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

It has now been a week without any response on this bug.  My support case hasn't been responded to either.  Does Shopify fix bugs?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

@Thea, any news on this one?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 32

We are about to commit to Shopify and I am currently testing a demo store. And this bug still seems to be a problem. This is close to a deal-breaker for our store. I just don't want customers paying extra postage when they buy an ebook at the same time as some physical product. 

What is the news on this bug (highlighted well over a year ago)?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Was there ever a solution to this? We are trying to solve this on our site. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 32

Shopify has a history of not fixing bugs, even once they admit it is a bug (which they did to me). The best I could do was advise customers to buy digital products separately. 

0 Likes