Simple Flat Rate Shipping

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

On most items, my products ship free worldwide. But for the four items that I ship myself, I offer free shipping within the USA, and a flat rate of XX.XX to the rest of the world.

I can't see any way of setting this up in the shipping area of Shopify. It should be absolutely BASIC -- my current shopping cart service offers this and it was easy to set up with a few clicks.

But all the documentation that I'm seeing so far says that in order to do this very simple, basic thing, I need to buy into an app to the tune of $120 a year and up!

Is this true? Because if so, it's a complete deal-breaker. I'm still in my 14-day free trial and I can't justify joining Shopify at any level if I can't do this one very simple basic thing.

Please advise.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
34 3 12

Hi @DuckSoup ,

Unfortunately, Shopify theme do not provide an option that allows its users to charge a shipping fee on specific products. BUT if you want to bypass this without paying for an extra App, simply manage your four free products you have based on weight. 

To do so, set-up free shipping on product that weight = 10kg for example and within those 4 product descriptions, add a weight of 10kg. This way, it will be free shipping. 

Also, little trick, if you want to enjoy more then 14 free trial days, register for free as an Shopify Partner. You will have unlimited time to work on your website and test. Simply select a plan whenever you are ready to sell :) 

If you need further assistance and/or have other questions, please feel free to reach.

Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

Sarah

Sarah | Shopify Expert @ Hello Web
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- Need further assistance ? Don't wait, hire us !
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

I don't see how that works. Those 4 products ship free WITHIN THE USA, but charge a shipping fee to the rest of the world. Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't see how to make your suggestion work. 

Most products ship free everywhere -- first of all, I can't even see how to set THAT up.

Then I have my handful of other products that ship free ONLY WITHIN THE USA, but incur a charge for the rest of the world.

And I don't need more free time, especially if this shipping thing is impossible. If I can't make this shipping thing work, I'm done here.

I don't understand why Shopify won't allow this. It's absolutely BASIC.

What am I missing here?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Never mind -- I THINK I figured it out -- at least, I ran a couple of test sales and it seems to be working correctly so far. But man -- this is FAR from intuitive, and judging by other topics on this forum I don't believe I'm alone in wishing that Shopify could do a better job in tis area.

Now one more question: if I want to print m,y shipping labels and postage through Shopify, how do I get it to calculate my actual costs to me (not to the customer)? I mean, since I have a bogus weight set up in order to give the customer free shipping? Is it done manually? 

Anyway, than you for your help.

0 Likes