Size and weight based shipping options in the UK?

Highlighted
2 0 1

Im trying to set up shipping options on my store and am running into some issues. I seem to be easily able to set up weight based break points where heavier products cost more to post, however, I cant find a way to tell it to also take in to account the size of a package. 

For instance - my shop sells music products. 

A CD may weigh similar to a vinyl record but a CD should go as a large letter and a record as a Small Parcel via Royal Mail. 

As they both fall in to the same weight band they are assigned the same postage rates where as the CD should be significantly cheaper. 

Any advice is very welcome! 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
821 50 103

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify. :)

Thanks for outlining your requirements here so clearly.

There are definitely a couple of options available for you here to handle this, though they would involve the use of a third-party app from our app store.

The first one I would check out myself is the Royal Mail Shipping Extension app as that's designed for use with the Royal Mail and its services.

What I'm not totally sure of for this app is how it would deal with parcel sizes; it seems to work off an average parcel size rather than allowing you to attach a given size to a product.

To better understand how this works you should reach out to the app developers using the contact details listed on the app store page.

An alternative would be to use a shipping app like Better Shipping which would allow you to set per-item shipping rates so you can be sure to match what you need to pay with what you charge your customers.

Apps like that one do require access to our carrier-calculated shipping API, which can be added to your store in a couple of ways.

It can be added to any plan paid monthly for $20 USD/month extra, comes as part of the Advanced Shopify ($299 USD/month) plan or can be added for free to any plan paid annually, rather than monthly (in addition to the 10% discount for paying annually).

Check out the apps above, reach out to their developers if you have questions about their use and let us know here if there's anything else we can help out with!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Same problem for my store, I have items of all shapes and sizes, some large letter and some small package etc. The Royal Mail Shipping Extension looks good, its £10 per month. But a recent review states "Would be good but doesn't work with Basic Shopify package." So thats no good for me. I might just have to work out a compromised "cover-all" solution for the time being and maybe check out the Better Shipping App in the future.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I hope you would have found a solution to this. So, I'm answering this query for the benefit of others with similar issues. 

You can check out the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you calculate rates based on product weight and dimensions, giving you the accurate rates. There are multiple packing methods based on product dimensions, which is automatically chosen. Also, the app helps you integrate with Parcelforce, allowing you to automate the complete shipping process.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes