Still confused about shipping price

Highlighted
Tourist
20 0 1

Shipping prices are not correct. If I set my own rate, I get screwed on shipping. I have items less than 1 pound set to 9.90 for shipping. But when processing the order my cheapest option is 10.54 using USPS. But if I go to USPS.com and process the shipping selecting small flat rate box my cost is only 8.30

If I switch the ship method to Shopify Shipping the customers are offered a ridiculously low shipping rate of 3.48

(pictures attached). Is there an app or something I can use to better gain control over shipping. Can I send the address to PayPal? I got better discounts there and no monthly fee. Shipping through PayPal only cost me $7.65 using a small flat rate box.

Furthermore the claim "discount" on shipping is either misleading or bogus information. As you can see in one picture it claims I am saving $2.93 on a $10.54 label when in fact I can purchase the label for $8.30 from USPS.com, it's costing me $2.24, not saving me anything.

Either I am doing something wrong/misunderstanding or your shipping calculations are way off.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Actual cost when shipping from USPS.comActual cost when shipping from USPS.comIncorrect calculation using shopify shippingIncorrect calculation using shopify shippingOPtions given when poroccessing a orderOPtions given when poroccessing a order

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
294 32 57

Hey, @BeeAMaker I'd be happy to work with you to get this taken care of. 

What are the dimensions (L x W x H) and the weight of the box you will be using to ship? If you are going to be shipping with the flat rate box (5-3/8" x 8-58" x 1-5/8") you will want to ensure that is your default package size in your Shipping settings. When using calculated rates in Shopify, the cost for shipping takes into account the dimensional size of the box along with the weight. So if you're current default package size in Shopify is different then this, this would explain the discrepancy you are seeing at checkout.

20-03-vn6wv-inhea

In addition, the calculated option at the checkout that you highlighted is USPS First Class Package, which is different than USPS priority mail. If you compare those two services at Shopify checkout you are seeing it cost the customer $8.19 and when buying the label in Shopify it is $10.54, which is more accurate. You may want to consider disabling the "First class package" option if you do not plan to ship with that service. That shipping method can be disabled within your Shipping zones calculated rate settings.

Additionally, you can even at a flat rate $ or % markup to all of your calculated rates as well to ensure that you don't undercharge the customer. For example, you can apply a 13% markup so whatever the calculated rate is at checkout, you can automatically add 13% to that cost. This can also be edited within your calculated rate settings.

Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
20 0 1

I have basically 3 box sizes, 9x9x3, 8x5x3 and 5x8x1 USPS flat rate small box. how does it know which to use? Most things I ship will fit in a Flat Rate box from USPS but I don't have that option.

I pointed out the first class mail because it is miscalculated way too low. the cheapest you will get from the USPS for a first class package is about $8.60 for less than a pound.

If the customer pays via PayPal I can print the label from there. Is there a way to send all purchases to my linked paypal account even if they don't pay via PayPal? Because in PayPal I can select the shipping service, enter the actual weight of the order and size of the box. Thus saving my customer - and me - a lot of money in shipping fees.

Thanks

0 Likes