Stuck with trying to configure shipping for Shopify

Highlighted
Excursionist
34 2 3

I sell about 1000 products a year. Building this website to expand that and drive repeat customers from other platforms to my own website.

So...I set up all the box sizes I use in my account, and it appears it was a pretty useless process given I cannot assign the box size to use to the item anywhere within the item listing.

I then set up all the shipping options I use - these vary by product. 

My calculated use: first class mail and priority mail

Other products use Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping

Around 500 used fixed rate shipping with fixed costs at $7, $10, $12.50, $15, $17.50, $20.00, $25.00, $30.00 and $35.00 - These items are flat rate to account for insurance and level of signature service required with photo ID. It is a fraud prevention measure in addition to a cost recovery technique. I.e. most places don't make it easy for you to require the buyer pay for insurance or signature requirement. If you are shipping a 150.00 item out, as the seller, you want it insured and you probably want someone to sign for it kind of thing. 

So anyway, there is no straight forward way of assigning a shipping method to an item. i.e. I go to create or edit an item, and nowhere in the item does it allow me to assign shipping - kind of really stupid..... last time I checked, this is suppose to be "The ecommerce solution"... yet you can't assign anything you created within the actual product you are selling....that says, this item needs this size box - so you have the dimensions - pretty  important when part of shipping cost by shipper is DIMENSIONAL! On top of it, I can't choose how the item is required to ship within the item configuration - i.e. media mail does not ship calculated first class mail.....I should be able to select with a check box "calculated media mail".

But nope.... somehow you think it is easier for a seller to go to a "shipping profile" and select all of the item that ship under that profile from within the shipping configuration.... who thought this was a bright idea? My shipping parameters vary significantly with about half my inventory based upon the sales price - but you don't even bother to show the price of the item, so if I don't have the price memorized I have to manually look at every product before I can assign it to a flat shipping profile and whatever I miss,  I will lose money on shipping...that is just stupid.

So..you have a great foundation, but unless I am missing something, sellers cannot adequately address shipping within the shopify platform. When is the last time you had ecommerce users come up to your offices to show your developers just how inadequate functionality is with the platform so they can addressed.

Do let me know if I am missing something because as it stand now, if you have a large catalog of inventory using a wide range of shipping - your platform is pretty much useless and I have wasted 3 weeks configuring and setting things up thinking I had an actual ecommerce solution.

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 6 15

There is a solution to your shipping scenario and i would like to discuss in full detail as there are many elements with this scenario .  

https://calendly.com/kingwebmaster/15min

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm stuck here in the same boat.  If you figured out how to assign a shipping profile to each product let me know.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 6 15

@palmerunion 

The solution is with the Advanced shipping manager-  this app will provide item-level shipping to resolved the request below.

My calculated use: first class mail and priority mail

Other products use Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping

Around 500 used fixed rate shipping with fixed costs at $7, $10, $12.50, $15, $17.50, $20.00, $25.00, $30.00 and $35.00 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 2 3

You have to create shipping profiles and then assign products to the profiles.

In the bottom left of your backend you select settings, Shipping and then you create profiles for shipping. You can create as many as you need. The general setting is all products not assigned to other shipping profiles. I use this one for my under 16oz first class mail items and set flat shipping based upon price at checkout with tiered pricing as noted in my initial post - 5.50 up to 49.99, 7.00 from 50 to 100.00 etc. You can alternatively do calculated as well, but you will want to make sure you have your weights correct in your product listing and that those weights reflect final boxed weight (since you cannot assign box size and the box weight to a product) as otherwise, you can end up under estimating shipping costs and eating the difference. You will want to configure your domestic zones - and if doing flat rate, you'll set up your pricing structure for shipping here. Domestic I only ship to the U.S. states so I have 51 selected (washington dc is a separate selection for some reason...lol) If you ship internationally, you have to configure that as well and I would definitely recommend calculated.

I have several shipping profiles; general which is the catch all and where most products are assigned by default with shopify so I don't have to manually add them. Heavy package - over 16oz - where you would set up carrier options - fedex, priority mail, ups etc. Media mail for books & LP's, USPS flat rate for flat rate shipments.

Any product that does not fall in the general shipping profile has to be manually assigned to the alternative shipping profile which requires going to the shipping area after you create the product and assigning it to the shipping category you need it in. Very inefficient and something that you should be able to do from the product creation page so you don't have to go from one area of the back-end to the other to manage a required product attribute if you're in the business of shipping products.

It really is not a very intuitive or efficient shipping configuration process and you can tell it was designed by a programmer and not someone that actually has done a lot of online business. It almost seems like part of it was an after thought that came later when everyone at the programming round table said - "how do we configure shipping?" The shopify platform is a solid foundation, but parts of it are just not well thought out and have resulted in my spending a lot of time chasing down solutions that really should have been part of the platforms foundation.

Anyway, I complained about the shipping setup, they agreed it makes more sense to be able to assign a shipping profile from the product as you're creating it, but I've heard nothing since. Dimension size on boxes is important - can't even do that even though any serious e-tailer knows their box sizes and wants them part of their calculated shipping process, especially for bulky items where box size is critical to shipping costs. The reality is, as long as they are "growing" you will be hard pressed to get them to roll out improvements that are needed to make the platform more efficient, you'll only see that when their competitors start eating into their customer base - which is how most businesses get left behind and really says the company is not well managed. They fail to recognize real usability issues in their product, a failure to innovate, and fix them to save valuable time resources for their customers and so customers eventually find a company that has created that "more efficient & streamlined" product and go elsewhere... and poof, you have a customer you will most likely never see again.

The worst thing to me is the spam sales posts from people like "Shipguru" who are only interested in getting you to subscribe to their app, versus talking about a solution or why that solution is needed due to shortcomings in the shopify system. 

Good luck!
George

0 Likes