Stunned at lack of decent location/warehouse management features

2 0 0

Hi All,

I'm trying to ditch my current e-commerce platform. It's a tiny platform that currently only has about 67 live website.

My main reason for ditching it was the poor marketing options of the store and the rigidity of being able to modify the front end. I figured I'd switch to shopify and get down to business improving our marketing with a real e-commerce platform.

However, I'm stunned at how weak Shopify and even integrated apps are at managing inventory. We deal with thousands of products, getting unique products in all the time. (We're a used equipment dealer. We don't store 100 t-shirts. We store 1 Molecular Diagnostic instrument.)

Maybe I'm overcomplicating warehouseing (I'm not, but it's rhetoric.) but isn't inventory and warehouse management a bit more than just counting how many of a product I have? Why is there no location tracking feature? Why can't I create warehouse locations that I can store my products in? Why can't I scan a barcode to place an item in that location? Why can I not create unique text fields that are found in each item that I can use to search for items and segment items? (Not tags... tags are really not the solution here.)

These are all features that my rinky-dink program that looks like it is from 2008 can do. Yet, Shopify with its fancy GUI doesn't do it. And when I install and try apps for "inventory management" They are basically just Shopify clones that do little better to help me manage inventory.

I'm astounded. I can't have the only company that has an organized warehouse and doesn't want to try to sync Shopify with a spreadsheet. To me, Shopify is conspicuously ignoring the physical component of inventory and products and the need to be able to relate your online data to a physical warehouse and real-world activities.

Am I missing something? Does anybody have a good solution for this?

Nathan

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1736 48 156

tl;dw turn on locations. one size fits all < Custom Requirements Development. The app ecosystem is there to let your rapidly build some sort of process.Don't expect off the shelf software or apps to fulfill your business needs.  ERP inventory management software is expensive.

@NathanNLS wrote:

Maybe I'm overcomplicating warehouseing (I'm not, but it's rhetoric.) but isn't inventory and warehouse management a bit more than just counting how many of a product I have?

It's many things to many people so one platform can't be all things to all people.

Either develop for your custom needs or get apps to leverage desired features.

Why is there no location tracking feature? Why can't I create warehouse locations that I can store my products in?

You have to add locations to your store for the inventory and transfer system before they will show up as part of the admin.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/locations

Why can't I scan a barcode to place an item in that location?

You can develop that, or search the app store for barcode inventory scan and contact your shortlisted inventory apps to see if they support it.

Why can I not create unique text fields that are found in each item that I can use to search for items and segment items? (Not tags... tags are really not the solution here.)

Tags,product types, vendors, metafields, collections,etc.

Information architecture and expectations are two different things.

Leverage the concepts shopify uses to store product info or only use shopifys admin to store transformed data and do data management elsewhere.

These are all features that my rinky-dink program that looks like it is from 2008 can do. Yet, Shopify with its fancy GUI doesn't do it. And when I install and try apps for "inventory management" They are basically just Shopify clones that do little better to help me manage inventory.

I'm astounded. I can't have the only company that has an organized warehouse and doesn't want to try to sync Shopify with a spreadsheet. To me, Shopify is conspicuously ignoring the physical component of inventory and products and the need to be able to relate your online data to a physical warehouse and real-world activities.

There's some expectation of an ideal software that's being set here that may never be met.

If the rinky-dink program can communicate with shopify, just use the rink dink program.

There are several apps to facilitate managing stores using spreadsheets because spreadsheets are an almost universal business language.

Nothing wrong with using using a different system like MS-Access or excel to store, manage, and explore your data.

Most stores do exactly stuff like that and then send transformed data to shopify for online ecommerce or channel mangement.

Am I missing something? Does anybody have a good solution for this?

Shopify is great but it is first most a generalized ecommerce platform to serve a broad set of needs for as many general use cases as possible.

A "good" solution for you is not a "good" solution for the next person etc,etc

• If your on shopify Plus contact your success manager for guidance.
  • Keep shortlising app by searching the app store or google , including "Shopify ERP inventory management"
  • Visit the experts directory search "inventory management" and  get some consults.
  • Pick a consultant and do some discovery to actually nail down what you need vs expect in technical writing.
  • If you still need more beyond than what off the shelf services can provide your gonna want to develop something bespoke.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Tourist
4 1 1

This was posted a few months back, but did you find a solution? As previously mentioned you can enable locations, but it sounds like you might need some small tweaks to get everything going. Each store is a little bit different, and it's not the norm to have 67 websites at once. 

Happy to give feedback or advice. Reply here, or send a note kenny@shipmates.co

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks for the response! I found that there just wasn't a solution out there that did what I need. I realized that our company has a small element of manufacturing to our process that we're tracking in our current program, and there just isn't a tool out there that helps me track individual products in our process, certain costs, and other production data in it.

For now, I'm stuck.

0 Likes