Supplement store payment options

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have been building my store, nearly ready to go live and then I get an email from Shopify...  I am unable to use the Shopify payment system because my store is selling health supplements for weight lifting, bodybuilding, fitness, etc.  I am selling protein powders, pre-workouts, etc.  I am told that I need to use a third party vendor.  However, when I go to a few supplement stores using Shopify, I notice that their payment info looks exactly like what mine currently looks like before Shopify is going to disable it.  Can anyone give me any insight into how these third party vendors work or how I can work around this?  Or why does it look like other supplement stores are using the Shopify payment system.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
614 54 150

Hi @laynevincent,

Thank you for getting in touch and for detailing your question.

It's likely that the products sold on your store are in breach of our Terms of Service for Shopify Payments, although this should have been outlined to you in the email sent about this matter. Not being able to use Shopify Payments does not mean there is necessarily a problem with your products, or that you cannot sell them on the Shopify platform, but there are some products and industries that the gateway cannot support payments for.

As such, there are a large number of merchants who continue to sell their products via Shopify even if they are denied use of Shopify Payments as their payment processor. The payment gateway you use on a store isn't typically viewable publicly, unless a merchant chooses to state which gateway they're using on the site, so the other stores you have come across are likely using different gateways. The checkout process will be the same for a customer when the merchant is using a fully integrated third party gateway as opposed to Shopify Payments, so it's not something that really affects the frontend of the store.

I would encourage you to look into potential alternatives to find the best gateway for your store, however there are a couple of gateways I can suggest reaching out to and asking if they will allow your products to be sold via their gateway; namely Authorize.net and eMerchantBroker. Both gateways fully integrate with Shopify so if you use either one, orders paid via credit card on your online store's checkout will be processed by the gateway and paid out to you by them.

I hope this helps explain the situation in more detail for you, but if you do have any more questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Victor, 

This is helpful as I also have a supplement store I am setting up. One more question - can Shopify still be the merchant account if you use auth.net for processing, or does auth.net need to do both?

I ask because I see that Shopify takes a 2% cut for 3rd party transactions (right?), and if you use auth.net as the merchant account + payment processing, it's another ~3% (versus if you just use them for payment processing, it's $.10 per transaction). 5% for each transaction seems like a lot so I would like to avoid this if at all possible. Thanks!

Sunny

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
614 54 150

Hi @sunnyday,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. If you're using any other gateway than Shopify Payments, this will be deemed a third-party gateway and your store will be subject to transaction fees - this is the case whether you're ineligible to use Shopify Payments due to the products that you sell, or if you are based in a country where Shopify Payments is not available. As such, you'll be required to pay transaction fees to Shopify for each order - this amount is dependent on which plan you are on - as well as credit card processing fees to the payment processor you are using.

This is just for using a third-party gateway on Shopify, of course. The situation may be different for other platforms and/ or if you're accepting payments via your Authorize.net merchant account elsewhere, but I can only confirm what the situation would be if you use the gateway to accept payments via Shopify's checkout.

I hope this clarifies the situation but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
15 0 0

Hi, thank you for this very useful topic that everyone responds to and thus gives such good advice. To be honest, I've never bought food supplements before. Yes, I do exercise and I have an active lifestyle, but the only thing I tried was nootropics, which I bought at a local pharmacy. By the way, who does not know what nootropics are read the article on Docarzt. I want to ask for your advice, what supplements should be taken by a man who is more than 30 years old? I need some kind of vitamin complex.

0 Likes