Switching from Stripe to Shopify Payments

3 0 0

hi.

We are Japanese company with a US webshop for US customers. 
We are thinking about switching from Stripe to Shopify Payments.

Can we receive payouts from the US webshop directly into a USD bank account based in Japan.

Or do we have to have a US bank account located in the US.

Also what would be any disadvantage of switching to Shopify Payments??

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
405 44 69

Hey, @kinelo!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out to us here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Regarding the US Shopify payments, you must have a full checking account located in the US with a US financial institution.

However, we do have Shopify Payments in Japan too which you could use. The bank account there must be with a physical bank in Japan, a Futsu account, and in JPY currency. 

Regarding the disadvantages of Shopify payments, the only ones I have ever personally noticed was that it does not support recurring billing (but there is an app for that), Shopify payments is only available in certain countries and there are some prohibited businesses. You can read about the Shopify Payments terms of service here. 

However, there are plenty of advantages to using the Shopify Payments gateway too! For example:

• Simple and understandable pricing structure that makes forecasting easier.
  • Waiving transaction fees can make the full cost of using Shopify Payments significantly cheaper for our customers.
  • 24/7 support.
  • Consolidated services, which avoids multiple accounts often required by other gateways.
  • Fraud protection tools and 3D secure
  • Exclusive additional payment options like Google Pay and Shopify Pay.
  • The ability to sell in their preferred currency.
  • The ability to take manual, over the phone payments.

I hope that helps but please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best!

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes