Syncing Shipping rates with Printful?

Solved
Highlighted
2 1 0

Hi Friends!! I'm going out of the country and in the middle of transitioning my orders from manual fulfillment to full integration with Printful.

Today was my first Printful order fulfilment and noticed my calculated shipping cost for the order was $2.05 yet Printful's shipping charge was $3.98. 

After speaking with someone on the phone from Printful she explained they do live rates and I had been doing flat rate. Which already was confusing because I have my shop set to 'calculate cost at checkout.'

Aside from that, she said there was no way to sync up the shipping rates but I don't want to be losing $ in different shipping rates if it can be avoided!

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of hybrid approach and can offer up any suggestions or recommendations for essentially syncing the rates. This has turned into a wholllllllle thing. Thanks in advance for your help!!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

Congratulations on your first Printful sale! In order for you to fully integrate the shipping information with Printful, you need to add a custom calculated shipping (CCS) package. It's an additional $20 per month for a monthly basic or professional plan. If you're on the annual or advanced plan, this package comes for free. In case you weren't aware, you can instantly save 10-20% on your total plan subscription costs by moving from monthly to annually or biennially! Feel free to reach out to Shopify's 24/7 support or simply reply here. I'd be happy to reach out to you via email and help you make the adjustment. Once you have the CCS package activated, simply to the Printful app and switch the live rate mode on. Your customers will be able to see the correct rate at the checkout point.

Based on your post, the shipping rate currently showing on your store is most likely the Shopify Shipping. This calculated shipping rate is for the merchants who ship their own products. The rate is slightly lower than Printful because Shopify Shipping offers a discounted shipping rate. Since you're using Printful as your shipping/fulfillment provider (you aren't shipping any products by yourself), I recommend you to move forward and add the CCS package. It allows you to have the live rates in your store from Printful.

In case if your store carries more than Printful products and you're concerned about which shipping rate will show when the customer checks out a combination of Printful and other products, don't forget to invest in shipping apps such as Better Shipping or Advanced Shipping Rules to differentiate the shipping rates shown at the checkout.

Alternatively, you can switch to manual price-based manual rates. The general idea is to create a fixed shipping rate for a price point. For example, for the orders from $0 - $50, set a shipping rate at $5.00. The key here is to set an estimated rate that's an average for your orders. There will be orders that cost slightly more than you charged, while others undercharged. The end goal is it will balance out as your orders accumulate.

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d love to help out! Wishing you a wonderful trip ahead!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

4 Likes

Success.

2 1 0

Jason, you are a godsend. Thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly explain all the options available to me. I was scouring articles upon articles and still hitting blanks. You're amazing. [btw I initially replied directly via email but this got lost - so please excuse the delay]

I'd like to move forward with an annual plan with my basic tier and get the CCS package free. Can you please help me set that up then proceed with setting up the CCS package? I think that would be the simplest way to go about this rather than me taking the time to calculate flat shipping rates and potentially shortchanging myself. 

Kindest,
T
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, there!

That's so sweet of you to say. It means a lot to me! I'm glad that you found my answer helpful. Your support is truly appreciated!

I agree with your choice! It's going to save you time. Don't forget that you may want to check out the third party shipping apps if your store offers other products than from Printful. Otherwise, when the customer tries to purchase two different products (one from Printful and the other from another brand), there will be two different rates showing up at the shipping rate pages.

I've gone ahead and sent you an email via your account email. Kindly check your inbox and I'd be happy to help you add the CCS package. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Jason (or customer service),

I'm just seeing this thread as I'm working to set-up my own Shopify store using two printers (Printful and Gooten) for fulfillment. I just wanted to ask you a clarifying question to make sure I understand properly:

If I am on the annual Shopify basic plan, I'd be eligible for the CCS package for free. And the downside here is the part I really want to make sure I understand: if someone adds products from each printer to their cart, the cart would show 2 Shipping totals, one for each printer's products. And the shipping for each printer would be CORRECT, is that right? But it would just show 2 shipping amounts which might confuse the customer?

If the shipping amounts are all correct, I am considering trying this solution out -- otherwise the app would cost $20 per month and that's way too much for me at this early stage.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Chloe

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, Chloe (@YiddishWarmth)!

Jason from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out! Sorry for the late reply. 

It's a smart idea to offer a variety of products without limiting yourself to only one Print on Demand app. Though, inevitably, the question you have will arise. It's fantastic that you've planned and questioned the scenario in advance. Kudos for paying attention to details!

There are two different methods to help you consolidate the two shipping rates in case if your customer purchased the products from both Printful and Gooten. Both methods require the CCS package to work properly. The CCS package allows Printful to calculate the shipping rate accurately in real-time. Here are the methods:

You're in the perfect timing to try out one of our newest shipping features: Shipping profile. This feature allows you to merge the shipping rates from two or more sources (could be apps or locations). An important tip to make sure that the rates are merged correctly is to have the shipping rates with the same name in different location groups or shipping profiles. This way, the two rates are added together and shown to your customer at checkout as one consolidated rate. If your rates have different names, then the cheapest options are added together and shown to your customer at checkout with the name: Shipping. In order for you to set up the profiles properly, pay close attention to how to combine rates at checkout and name your shipping rates. The best part about this feature - it's free of charge.

Alternatively, you can use third-party apps that enhance current shipping settings. Better Shipping and Advanced Shipping Rules are two fantastic apps that have additional advanced shipping settings to group the products into different categories or zones so your store calculates the shipping rates accurately. Both apps come with free trial periods. Feel free to give them a try and don't forget to remove them (if you don't want to keep them) before the trial periods end to avoid app charges.

If you run into any issues, or if I misunderstood what you're hoping to set up, don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Jason,

First, you understood completely what I'm hoping to accomplish! Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response. I do have one question I hope you can clarify about naming shipping rates. In my shipping setting right now, both dropshipper apps are set-up the same as they only have one option in the dropdown menu: "Rates provided by app." So as far as I can tell in reading the links and scouring my settings, there doesn't appear to be a way for me to manually rename the shipping rates because they're just pulling the rates automatically and as-is from my 2 dropshippers. So as of right now it seems like me to that in order to have shipping rates named the same, I would need to create manual shipping rates instead of pulling them automatically from the apps of the dropshippers. And that would mean losing the "correct" shipping rates and going through the process of creating "average blocks" of shipping rates for both dropshippers and then naming the rates the same so they will combine correctly in checkout. Is that correct?

I'm REALLY hoping I'm not right, to be honest! I'm hoping I'm missing something in the settings either of Shopify or the dropshippers that will allow me to rename the shipping rates while still automatically pulling the correct rates via CSS and Shipping Profiles. So I'll have my fingers crossed until you're able to respond! :)

Thank you kindly,

Chloe

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hi, Chole (@YiddishWarmth)!

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. It made my week! Let's go over your question.

I did a quick test order from your store and noticed that the shipping name is "Shipping" at the moment, which makes me curious about your shipping settings. As mentioned previously, Shipping usually means one rate was pulled with the cheapest rate instead of combining the two together. 
17_34-vp8f8-i8t8j
The first thing that comes to mind is does Gooten provide shipping rates for you? Or perhaps the app functions differently than Printful. If Gooten doesn't have the shipping feature as Printful, then you need to calculate the shipping rate through other methods. Since it is developed by a third-party developer, the best way to find out about Gooten's shipping features/rates is by contacting the app support directly at partnersupport@gooten.com.

If Gooten doesn't have the calculated shipping rates as Printful does, you're on the right track. To resolve the issue, you need to create manual shipping rates for products coming from Gooten. While you're setting up the shipping rate, remember to check and see what Printful had named their shipping methods. For instance, Printful may have their shipping methods named "Standard shipping" and "Expedited shipping". After you've confirmed with the shipping names it's using, apply the same names to the manual shipping rates that you're setting up with Gooten. This way, when the customer purchases the products from the two dropshipping apps you have, the rates will combine together and we're good to go!

Keep me posted on the progress! If you need anything, I'm here for you and can always send you an authentication email to assist you further. The end goal is to have your shipping rates set up properly so you don't lose money on shipping with the orders you have. 

Best,

Jason

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

Jason, thank you for your continued assistance! I have grown so confused with shipping that your guidance has been so important. On my site, if you were to add anything to your cart BUT clothing, you should get a quote for specific shipping options, not the simple "Shipping" option. The clothing on my site is through Printful, and everything else is through Gooten. I thought Gooten was working because you get shipping options if you only order Gooten stuff (for example, a greeting card), and you also get options now if you just order t-shirts, but if you order a card and a shirt you get the "Shipping" option. But then after reading your last message, I went back into the Shipping Profile I had setup for all the Gooten products, and I noticed it was pulling shipping rates from Shopify and Printful but not Gooten. I removed Printful rates (I don't know why they were there in the first place), but now I guess I have to assume that the shipping rates that I thought were coming from Gooten are actually coming through Shopify somehow. I wouldn't have assumed that was possible because I'm only shipping from the location of Gooten in that Profile, so I'm so confused how rates are being pulled. But now I'm thinking you're correct, that no rates are passing from Gooten into Shopify, so I've reached out to Gooten to ask for their help. Again, I really want to avoid the manual shipping rates! Ugh! So depending on how Gooten responds (I know they have an API, but I don't understand it so I've asked them if that's a possible solution), I will have to seriously consider the Advanced shipping app. That's a hard decision to make because I'm a brand new store and that monthly cost is hard to justify at this point.

I will follow up with you to let you know what I hear! I sure hope Gooten has a way to pass shipping rates... (fingers crossed).

Thank you again,

Chloe

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, Chloe (@YiddishWarmth)!

You're most welcome. Thank you so much for sharing the settings.

I agree with you that when you're a new store, it's always wise to follow your budget plan and save as much as you can. This not only saves you money, but it also allows you to allocate the funds into categories that can help your business grow, such as your marketing plans. 

When we are waiting for Gooten's response, I recommend you to visit USPS and check out the rates yourself. For instance, how much does it cost to send a card from your location to a west coast location versus an east coast location by the cheapest fare/method (could be the First-Class Mail)? Play around with the shipping addresses and the weight of the products as these are the two major information we need to gather when it comes to setting up manual shipping rates. Alternatively, since Gooten is the one handling the shipment, you can reply to their response and follow up with the shipping rate inquiries. Just in case the app doesn't have an API that shares the shipping rates with Shopify, the support staff may be able to help us out with their experiences and expertise. For reference, here's a great resource on how to choose and plan dropshipping's shipping strategies

I understand and can relate to the anxiety around setting up manual shipping rates. If it does happen that your store needs it, I'd be happy to help out. As mentioned, I'll be here if you need any assistance and we can work together to make sure your shipping rates are correctly reflected. Keep me posted on Gooten's response and we'll go from there. 

Best,

Jason

1 Like