Taking a partial payment on a draft?

Tourist
10 0 1

I have a few draft invoices for a customer who is unable to pay in full. They'd like to put down a partial payment on one of the draft invoices I emailed him.  Is there a way for them to do that using the draft order I sent him?  The only thing I can see is for him to pay the draft in full. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 18 52

Hi, Samuel.

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Processing partial payments Online or using Draft orders is not something that is currently possible. There are some workaround options that you could use in a case like this.

I would suggest sending a Draft order specifically for the deposit (1st installment) amount. Then you can refer to this initial order (number and amount) in a new draft order for the full amount. For recording the discount, you might want to add a custom discount that refers to this order number or date. Or add a custom item (with the discounted price) and include notes.

Here's the doc on how to find or complete a Draft order. You could easily prep both invoices at the same time and send to the customer when it's convenient!

Check out the doc all about Draft Orders if you need a refresher.

I hope this helps with the particular type of payments you need.

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 4

Hi Shopify. I get the workarounds but this feature has been requested for many years. Why is it possible to take partial payment on the pos app, but not in system administration online. Please make it happen, you would help many clients and my guess is you would end up with some new ones too!

0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 4

I also DESPERATELY need this function.  I do custom orders all the time that require half down and half upon completion.  It seems to me that all that needs to be done is that the client have an alterable field when they click the link to pay where they can whatever about they want in and pay it, thus kicking it from a draft to an invoice with a balance due.  Isn't this possible??  I know I don't understand coding but is seems like an easy fix from where I am sitting and a feature that would be beneficial for a ton of merchants.  Just a thought... no, a request, lol.  Thanks!

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Has any progress been made on this request? We do are large amount of invoicing and we may not be able to continue with shopify if we can't accept partial payments on draft orders. Is there a better way to create invoices to send to customers and then accept partial payment?

3 Likes
1 0 0

Hi guys I'm a Shopify app developer and can make that happen. An app that you install allowing you to take partial payments on orders. How will it work? A user makes an order, the payment is not processed so you send them a link to a page where they can pay a portion of the payment, say 20% of the entire order to complete the remaining another day. 

Now such app doesn't exist yet but I can create it by working for you for a price with your exact requirements so that it works exactly how you want or you can leave the thinking to me and I'll create it the most elegant way to simplify user interactions. If you're interested send me a private message here to discuss the details or to my email merunasgrincalaitis@gmail.com

0 Likes