Test Mode is not actually test mode

2 0 0

We're new to Shopify and our store was in test mode. We clicked on "Buy shipping label" and apparently we were actually charged for the label! We voided the label and got a credit which was not what we wanted or expected ... what is there about being in test mode that Shopify doesn't understand? You can't properly test your workflow if there are steps that aren't actually in test mode or are we missing something?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2545 178 395

Hi @Quistuipater,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Can I ask where you bought the shipping label from, please? I'm wondering if it was from a third party (non Shopify) courier such as USPS, UPS, Canada post or something similar. The reason I ask is because if it's a third party courier, it wouldn't realise the store is in test mode as it is connected to the courier directly. There is a way you can print a test shipping label to make sure that your printer is set up properly and that it's all good. You aren't charged for printing a test label. You can see how to do this from the steps below: 

1. From your Shopify admin, click Settings, and then click Shipping.

2. In the Shipping labels section, click Print test label next to the format that you want to print.

3. If the label downloads to your computer, then find the file on your computer and open it. If the label opens in a new tab in your browser, then open the tab.

4. Find the print option for the test label, then select it.

5. In the print dialog, select the printer you want to use to print the label.

6. Select the paper size that matches the printer you're using to print the label. For a label printer, select 4x6. For a desktop printer, select 8.5x11.

7. After you've chosen the correct printer and paper size, click Print.

You can see the guide Shopify has for this going into more detail here

I hope this helps and explains why this might have happened. Don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes