Test a Real Payment in a Development Store

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

I just finished setting up a store for a client. I used manual payments and I wanted to demonstrate the payment functionalities before transferring the store over. But I get this error "Payment gateway isn't setup to test orders. This store can't accept real orders or real payments."

So that means the client can't see the SMS text after order is completed or even receive the order request via the shopify app in this test phase. 

How can I solve this?  

P.S: I develop stores for small business owners in developing nations who rely on mobile money and COD as a means of financial transaction.
If I cant demonstrate how ecommerce works for them then i'm pretty much screwed :/

Screenshot from 2020-04-19 13-29-15.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
477 34 67

@Efricans wrote:

I just finished setting up a store for a client. I used manual payments and I wanted to demonstrate the payment functionalities before transferring the store over. But I get this error "Payment gateway isn't setup to test orders. This store can't accept real orders or real payments."

So that means the client can't see the SMS text after order is completed or even receive the order request via the shopify app in this test phase. 

How can I solve this?  

P.S: I develop stores for small business owners in developing nations who rely on mobile money and COD as a means of financial transaction.
If I cant demonstrate how ecommerce works for them then i'm pretty much screwed :/

Screenshot from 2020-04-19 13-29-15.png

Hi, @Efricans!

Manual payment methods cannot be tested within the Shopify admin because payment for those options takes place outside of Shopify. In order to "test" manual payment methods, the merchant would need to complete a real transaction once you've handed the store over to them. After the transaction is completed, it would then need to be cancelled. In this case, it's really just a matter of ensuring that you can click "Complete order" and be redirected to the "Thank you" page, because the payment would be taking place entirely outside of Shopify.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
1 0 0

I am also creating a store for a client and when I proceed with check out get the same message. How can I do a complete purchase for them?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
477 34 67

@EtienneS wrote:

I am also creating a store for a client and when I proceed with check out get the same message. How can I do a complete purchase for them?

Hi, @EtienneS.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

There are a couple methods for testing orders in development stores. The error "Payment gateway isn’t set up to test orders. This store can’t accept real orders or payments.", will appear if you're not using the bogus gateway or test mode for the payment gateway in question. This error message will also appear if you're attempting to test a manual payment option as that would be considered a real transaction. If you do need to test a real transaction, the development store will need to be transferred to a paid plan by handing off the store to the client.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Sophia, would you know if a Shopify store can go live with only manual payment option? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
477 34 67

@Christie89 wrote:

Hi Sophia, would you know if a Shopify store can go live with only manual payment option? 

Hi, @Christie89!

Absolutely. You don't need to enable a credit card gateway in order to go live. Once a store is on a paid plan and the password protection is removed, the store can be published with any payment option(s) you choose. If a manual payment option is the only one you want or are able to offer, that will work.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

@Sophia wrote: An update to order and payment testing on development stores was posted on March 30, 2020 in the Developer changelog.
And you didn't deemed necessary to inform us? That means i kept spending time and money on a store where customers can't actually buy? Is this for real???
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
477 34 67

@skwal wrote:

@Sophia wrote: An update to order and payment testing on development stores was posted on March 30, 2020 in the Developer changelog.
And you didn't deemed necessary to inform us? That means i kept spending time and money on a store where customers can't actually buy? Is this for real???

Hi, @skwal.

Welcome to the Shopify Community! In addition to the update to the Developer changelog, this change was noted in an email sent out to Partners. The contents of that email can also be found here in the Partners Discussion board. You can subscribe to the changelog by email or RSS to ensure you don't miss future updates.

In order for customers to buy from a store you've developed, you will need to transfer ownership of the development store to the client. Once your client has selected a plan, there will no longer be a limit to test orders or real customer orders. This limit is only in place for stores still in in development.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Is the point to make sure people aren't really using the site when it is in development? I get that, but it is unfortunate, because that means we can't test a site fully if it is only going to be set up with manual orders. It would be nice if you could allow a small number of test orders each day or something.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
477 34 67

@travis-r wrote:

Is the point to make sure people aren't really using the site when it is in development? I get that, but it is unfortunate, because that means we can't test a site fully if it is only going to be set up with manual orders. It would be nice if you could allow a small number of test orders each day or something.

Hey, @travis-r. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Development stores have access to unlimited test orders, so you're not limited to testing manual payment methods only. As long as your payment gateway is in test mode, you can place test orders to ensure the gateway is set up and functioning as expected.

0 Likes