Test a Real Payment in a Development Store

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I have a development store that is subject to the "unlimited number of development" stores policy, and not the free trial policy.

I'm helping a client build a shopify application, and I'm wondering if it is possible to test a real payment. Part of the application relies on external payouts and I need to be able to run at least one test with real payments by client specification. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, David.

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

If you're working on a Development store, you are able to test orders, and place real orders (with an active payment provider) before handing off your development store to clients and losing the option to have this "extended trial" or "sandbox" to work on your store.

Check out the details on placing orders here. Keep in mind that the limit to orders placed while in development is 50 orders with real payment methods.

Let us know if you need any more help with that! Best of luck on your shop.

Cheers,
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0
Max,

Thank you for clarifying! How can I activate Shopify Payments (Stripe)? Do
I need to go through and approval process, and if so how do I start the
process?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 67

Hi, David.

Max, again,

If you have the option to choose Shopify Payments (check out the requirements here), you can head to Settings > Payment providers to select this option from the credit card dropdown. The full instructions on getting set up with Shopify Payments are listed here.

This payment provider can be used during your development phase, then when transferring to a client, you'll likely want to update these details. 

Let us know if you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help!

Best,

Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Thanks!

Does this also apply to Manual payments?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

I have used this in the past with the 50 sales test before switching to a paid plan.  Did something change?  I am testing a new development store and can now no longer accept real payments?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0
Please someone should answer our questions please am having same issue
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
363 28 56

@RICHARD_TWESIGE wrote:

Thanks!

Does this also apply to Manual payments?

Hi, @RICHARD_TWESIGE!

Sophia here from Shopify. This does not apply to manual payment methods. Since manual payments are processed outside the Shopify store, those orders will need to be manually marked as Paid to tell the system that payment was received externally. That being said, there is no payment process to test within the Shopify admin for manual payment methods.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
363 28 56

@heaton5747 wrote:

I have used this in the past with the 50 sales test before switching to a paid plan.  Did something change?  I am testing a new development store and can now no longer accept real payments?

Hi, @heaton5747 and @Adamsy!

Sophia here from Shopify. An update to order and payment testing on development stores was posted on March 30, 2020 in the Developer changelog. This change was made to keep development stores in line with their intended purpose as a testing environment. You will still be able to process unlimited test transactions in development stores, and in cases where a real order needs to be placed, you can hand development stores over to clients, at which point they can select a paid plan. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Thank you. This was helpful!

1 Like