Too many failure payment via Stripe

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, I would like to ask is there any one expreiencing the same as us?  We are selling our product on Shopify, most of our customers are from US, I reviewed the payment on Stripe and found that Stripe declined lots of our customers' payment with the error code do_not_honor, I know that it is mostly because of the bank declined directly with no reason, does the store's original location affect (We are located in Hong Kong)? We are having like over 30% of failure payment each month, at least 1/day, this is quite frustrated.... I tried to contact Stripe's CS but nothing help as they said they only receive limited information from the bank, and I read some of the articles said that their stores were having the almost the same % of faliure payment like us and no ways to solve it.

If anyone experiencing the same as us and have solved this issue with any method (e.g. use other payment platform instead), can you share us details?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3078 232 505

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

That does seem quite strange. Stripe is a third party payment gateway so reaching out to them is also your best option with this as Shopify would be quite limited in how we could help because Stripe is a third party. I took a look at the available payment gateways Shopify has with Hong Kong and Stripe is not there and maybe this could be the problem. Shopify Payments, on the other hand, is available in Hong Kong, and it could be worth looking into using that as your gateway moving forward. You do however have the option of any of the other gateways in the link above. 

I hope this helps clear this up for you and points you in the right direction for next steps to take. 

All the best, 

Nick 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Nick,

Thank you for replying us. We will consider your suggestion but one thing is I could not be able to add shopify payment from the backend since it is not showing up from the list, is that because we have Stripe on the list? In alternative payment provider, there are all other payment menthod listed from on www.shopify.com.hk/payment except shopify payment. It would be great if you can let us know what should we do. Thank you.

Best regards,

DrinKup

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3078 232 505

Hello again, 

Great question. A store can only have one payment gateway at a time, so that does make sense what you are saying in your reply. Alternative payment providers are services which take the customers out of the store's checkout to pay, which is why the option to add them are here, while Stripe or Shopify Payments (or whichever gateway you select from this list keeps you in the stores' checkout, but since you already have Stripe the other gateway options do not appear. In this instance, you would need to first remove Stripe as the payment gateway before you could choose Shopify Payments or one of the other gateways listed. One other thing to note is that you must sell in your countries local currency to activate Shopify Payments for your store, in your case, this would be Hong Kong Dollars. But you would need to de-activate Stripe first to do this, but please only de-activate Stripe if you are completely sure and know you want to go in a different direction with this. 

I hope this helps and clears this up for you, but please don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about anything. For any more information on Shopify Payments directly, please take a look by clicking here

Kind Regards, 

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi Nick, did you ever get to the bottom of your many do_not_honor failures? We are getting the same issue and it is hurting us a lot now.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1248 76 274

Hey, @Gavin5511!

In most cases, the issue lies with the customer's credit card. The error is due to Stripe not being able to recognize the format of the card (invalid_format). I've reached out to you via email as I can get this issue escalated to our Technical Support for further review so we can get this confirmed. 

Chat soon!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having this issue too.. I'm losing around 2000$ a week due to do_not_honor errors.. I have been looking for solutions for 2 weeks now. The only fix I've found is to form an LLC in the US and then create a Stripe account from there.. Since it's an international bank problem.

Will switching from Stripe to Shopify payments fix the do_not_honor errors? I'm hardly affected by this problem :( 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1248 76 274

Hi, @Drico

I'm sorry to hear that this has been negatively affecting you and your business. From my understanding of the issue, this is something Stripe would need to troubleshoot; however, our teams can look through the logs to see if we're able to provide any additional information. I've shipped you an email so we can get this looked into. 

In terms of switching to Shopify Payments, I wouldn't be able to give a concrete answer on that. Using Shopify Payments would allow us more flexibility in seeing where the issue is as we have access to information processed through Shopify Payments, but not Stripe. That said, making the change would require specific documentation to allow the use of Shopify Payments when operating outside of the list of eligible countries for Shopify Payments. If this interests you then let me know as I'd be happy to forward the information on what we'd require to get that setup. 

Chat soon. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes