Tracking link being sent to customers is a DHL .com site not .co.uk so customers cant trace orders

Highlighted
Excursionist
52 0 7

We are facing a minor issue with tracking links being sent to our customers. Once an order is fulfilled its either shipped via Royal Mail or DHL (we are based in the UK) depending on the items weight and / or cost. Everything works fine, and the tracking numbers and links being sent to customers whos items leave us via Royal Mail are working fine. Unfortunately the customers who order items that are shipped via DHL are receiving the correct tracking number, but the auto generated link is for the DHL.com site not the .co.uk one, so when a customer follows the link its stating there is no consignment to trace. Once you copy the tracking ID into the .co.uk DHL website, it works fine. 

Has anyone else ran into this or a similar issue, and if so how did you resolve it? We use Linnworks to process all of our orders and we wasnt sure if it was an issue within linnworks, or shopify its self. Or maybe I am missing something very simple within the settings but I cant seem to find it. I have reached out to DHL but we are awaiting a response at the moment. 

Example of the link being forwarded to our customers
http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/?trackingnumber=CONSIGNMENT-NUMBER

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9863 98 1702

What is creating the tracking ID at the moment? Shopify? Manual? Third party service?

If it's linnworks that's the place you should be looking into. Either they are not sending over the correct url, or not sending a url at all and Shopify is make a best guess. If you're not sure you will be able to work out if a tracking url has been added or not. Can walk you through that if needed (it's not hard).

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted

The important thing here is to check whether you are shipping with DHL Express or DHL Globalmail. Shopify provides support for DHL Express and hence the tracking numbers are always referenced via dhl.com You can check this with the Linnworks team and if possible do update us here. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi

I had this issue too. I have created a custom notification to deal with this but it's still not ideal as the admin page link doesn't work there still.

Somewhere around line 134 of Shipping Confirmation template (Settings > Notifications > Shipping):

<p class="disclaimer__subtext">
    <br/>
    {% if fulfillment.tracking_numbers.size == 1 and fulfillment.tracking_company and fulfillment.tracking_url %}
		{% if fulfillment.tracking_company == 'DHL Express' %}
			{{ fulfillment.tracking_company }} tracking number: <a href="https://track.dhlparcel.co.uk/?con={{ fulfillment.tracking_numbers.first }}">{{ fulfillment.tracking_numbers.first }}</a>
		{% else %}
			{{ fulfillment.tracking_company }} tracking number: <a href="{{ fulfillment.tracking_url }}">{{ fulfillment.tracking_numbers.first }}</a>
		{% endif %}
    {% elsif fulfillment.tracking_numbers.size == 1 %}
      Tracking number: {{ fulfillment.tracking_numbers.first }}
    {% else %}
      Tracking numbers:<br />
      {% for tracking_number in fulfillment.tracking_numbers %}
        {{ tracking_number }}<br />
      {% endfor %}
    {% endif %}
  </p>
{% endif %}

I can't see how it would be that hard to fix this based on the shop location, Shopify!

0 Likes