Trying to determine the best method of shipping for us

Highlighted
8 0 0

We have found that nearly every online order requires us to manually adjust the shipping amount authorized in Shopify once the order reaches us.  

Is there any solution you can think of that will provide the customer with more accurate shipping costs?  I know that we sometimes lose sales due to a high shipping cost scaring customers off.  We even have a note on the shipping page telling them that we will probably reduce the cost and not to worry about us overcharging, but people don't always read it.

We sell very lightweight items in large quantities (one inch of fabric is .01 lb - the lowest weight we can apply to it, but four yards of fabric is less than 1.44 lbs.  We have to sell by the inch since we can't sell a fraction of an item, and fabric is often sold by fractions of yards).  

Is there any solution for us that will offer customers more realistic weights so that we will

A: not lose sales over high shipping estimates, and

B: not have to do so much manual changing of prices with each online sale?  We are getting more online sales, and that's more time that staff has to spend at the computer, which is not a scalable solution.

We currently use Shipstation for shipping, and are on the Advanced Shopify plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 1

Hi Julianne,

Look us up; we think we can help.

Decimal

Decimal | Shipping Rates Calculator for Shopify | Los Angeles, California, USA | https://apps.shopify.com/decimal
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I'm concerned that there is not a price for the app (not even a ballpark), and also concerned that it is still in Beta.  More info = better!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 1

In that case, try some of the other terrific apps.  Just search for "Shipping Rate".

Decimal | Shipping Rates Calculator for Shopify | Los Angeles, California, USA | https://apps.shopify.com/decimal
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @Julianne_Walth1,

One of the main reasons why carriers like FedEx charges a higher rate is the package weight.  So, you have to ensure you have configured the product weight correctly. Another reason is Shipper address or recipient address is within the non-serviceable area for the carrier. In such cases too, they charge a huge surcharge. You need to verify the same.  

If you are using FedEx as your shipping carrier, you can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app to automate the processes which you have mentioned.

The app shows the accurate shipping costs given by your FedEx account.

The app allows you to provide the weight as well as dimensions for your products either directly or by CSV import.

Also, using the box packing feature, you can configure the required FedEx boxes as well as custom boxes of your choice. With these values, the app will automatically select the required box for your product and calculate the accurate FedEx rates for you without overcharging.

The app also helps you show live rates at checkout, print FedEx Labels, and handle FedEx tracking as well. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted

I hope every order you get must be more than 1 inch of fabric? FedEx recognises the weight of a product upto 2 decimal places. Now, as for the rates, it would be great if you can let me know a standard box size that you use to ship those items. Based on the dimensions, i can help you with the rates. as a general rule, it would be great if opt for calculating rates based on dimensional weight of the product. This is definitely done by the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. So this app will use your box dimension, calculate the dimensional weight and then compare it with the actual weight and send the higher one to FedEx.

0 Likes