UK Payments gateways

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi All,

With Shopify using Stripe for their own gateway implementation in the UK, I have discovered that Strip itself is not available to me. Additionally, as I use a non-brick and mortar bank, Starling, I'm illegible for Shopify Payments. Bummer.

I'm new to this game, and internet reviews aren't so helpful, so I thought I'd ask here from people who know much more than I, which available UK payment gateways they would recommend.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
687 51 152

Hey, @QTS!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out! 

Adding a payment gateway is the most important step to take before you launch your online store, so I'm glad to hear that you're working on this. 

You're right — both Stripe and Shopify Payments require UK merchants to have a full checking account or current account with a physical bank in the United Kingdom. The bank account must be in GBP currency and eligible for FPS transfers. More information about Shopify Payments' bank account requirements can be found here.

If you are unable to open a bank account, then there may be some other options you can look into and we actually have a list of supported payment gateways in the UK that I suggest checking out if you haven't already. I should note, however, that it's very likely that most of these options will not support online or prepaid bank accounts. Taking a look at PayPal's bank account requirements, for example, I can see that this is the case. Usually, these limitations are due to the account type itself, rather than the payment gateway.

I suggest checking out some of the options from the list above and taking some time to explore their requirements, which you can typically find on their websites. If you have any questions about any of these gateways, you should be able to find contact options for each provider directly on their website. 

That being said, there are many benefits to using Shopify Payments, including no transaction fees, quick payouts, and chargeback management, so if you are able to open a bank account, I would definitely recommend doing so; I'd love for you to be able to take advantage of these features.

I hope this helps lead you in the right direction and I'm curious to know if any UK-based merchants have some suggestions! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes