UPS Shipping problem

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
36 0 6

If anyone tried to charge something back to my account through shopify it definitely wasn't authorized! I've checked both accounts with UPS and have a zero balance but when I spoke to them about helping unlock my shopify account they said that those people are only available Monday - Friday. It's so incredibly frustrating to rely on someone else!

0 Likes
John_Walter
9 0 0

so just to be clear - in my case, it was UPS that selected my shopify billing account.  They were definitely in error, 1 because they allowed a charge to an inactive account, and 2, they searched their database to find a valid account and somehow selected Shopify vs my other current account.  So it wasnt my vendor, who i hadnt ordered from in years and had the old account, nor was it Shopify.  

I dont know what happened in your case, but that was how things got out of sync, where Shopify had no record of the invalid charge (although eventually they found a tracking number somewhere eles in their system), and which then couldnt go thru to bill me naturally.  

I hear you though - it took about 5 weeks to figure this out and in the meantime i had to use my UPS account with much higher shipping costs than Shopifys.

0 Likes
LeviBuckingham
2 0 0

Hey Jennifer,

Were you able to get your account sorted, and if so how did you go about doing it?

I'm having the same issue, but like you my UPS accounts are both paid in full. I'm awaiting a response from Shopify to get my Shopify UPS account number, but wanted to be proactive in case they don't come up with anything. 

I've been using Shopify for over 6 years and the customer service has gotten worse and worse every year. It used to be so good in the beginning, like talking to an actual person that was knowledgable and could get you sorted on the spot. Now when I call, which you can't even do right now, I end up knowing way more about Shopify then their support staff.

It's so crazy to me that Shopify thinks it's acceptable for an issue like this to have a wait of 2-3 days just to make their initial response, much less to then just be getting the ball rolling on solving the issue. UPS is absolutely essential to our business as our primary package size is larger and can only be shipped reasonably with UPS. Not to mention that UPS is the shipping method customers have chosen at check out, so for Shopify to say, "in the meantime just go to UPS or use USPS" shows how incredibly out of touch they are with shipping rates. Going to UPS is not only a logistical nightmare with our box size, but would cost us roughly $8 more per package. and that's with the negotiated rates we have with one of our other accounts.  USPS would be twice as much per package (around $20-25 more per package) and is not the shipping method my customers chose at checkout. 

0 Likes
Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
36 0 6

I was able to get it sorted myself with absolutely no help from Shopify. I would go through 30 minutes of trying to explain the problem, only to be told I had to speak to a particular department that didn’t work on the weekends. AND they’d say that since I already sent an email in creating a ticket, that I would get a response asap.  I never received an answer for what the problem was from Shopify. I resolved it myself and then even several days after that received an email saying looks like your UPS is back to working let us know if you need anything else. If you look at a past tracking number that you have, the 6 digit number letter Combo that follows 1Z, is your Shopify UPS account number. I had to call and be transferred to several different ups reps, if I can find the direct line tomorrow I’ll pass it along bc if you don’t call tomorrow, they also don’t work past 5 or on the weekends. I explained to them that this was my Shopify UPS account number and when they looked it up they said it had been automatically closed by Shopify’s system for lack of use...while we had been shipping hundreds of packages each day during the holidays. I told them I wanted it re-activated and they said they’d do it and that it might take several days to update everywhere but I was able to print shipping labels the next day. I hate relying on other people when it can affect our customer service but we are in the same boat as you, where the shipping rate is much better and we are primarily UPS. Usps can’t be trusted and has zero customer service. I hope this helps you! 

0 Likes
John_Walter
9 0 0

glad it seems to have worked out.  As much as its easy to get mad at Shopify for not understanding these problems, I think the cause is UPS not having their s together.  For instance, i paid my UPS bill the other day, but then noticed i was getting billed for a shipment from two completely different addresses and companies, on a brand new account that was now associated with my company.  How that kind of thing can happen is beyond me, and it seems like they make it way too easy to game the system.  It took me more than a half hour to chase this down and get the charge removed (at least they said they would), still not sure what the new account is about, and at the end of the day, it seems like if someone knows your account number they can just ship using it.  

0 Likes
Rampheg
2 0 0

Hey Jennifer. Did you get that direct number by any chance? To call ups. I’m having the same problem and Shopify has no answer. Thanks 

0 Likes
Rampheg
2 0 0

Hey everybody. In my case it looks like I had unpaid invoices on my account. So it was suspended. It wasn’t much ($44). So I paid it and within 45 mins I was able to purchase ups labels through my Shopify account. I called ups myself and gave them my Shopify ups account number which is the 6 numbers or/and letters that follow after 1Z of your tracking numbers. This is the number I called 8004688823. Hope this helps. Bless day everyone and wishing sold out days for all of you

0 Likes
LeviBuckingham
2 0 0

Rampheg's advice here is spot on - just call UPS with your UPS account number (the 6 digit/letter combo starting after 1Z on every shipping label - just pull up an old label to see this), and they'll figure out why the account is not in good standing anymore. Shopify is absolutely useless as far as customer service is concerned. It's really disappointing. 

0 Likes