Havent been able to purchase UPS shipping labels for the last week and a half, anyone else have this problem? My billing account is fine with Shopify, i can still buy labels using USPS and DHL Express. Thanks for any advice or opinion as to whats going on. i'm still waiting on support to get back to me and my shipments are piling up.
HI, yes i did find the solution, and it took working with UPS directly to solve it, as Shopify wasn't able to figure it out.
In my case, and possibly yours, since this isn't that uncommon a possibility, a vendor of mine sent me a shipment collect for the UPS charges, and for some reason, submitted the shipment using an obsolete UPS account that was in my company's name. I closed that account more than 5 years ago due to a mix-up, and i ended up creating a new account. But for whatever reason, when the shipment tried the charge and failed, then UPS's algorithm rolled over to try and find a valid UPS shipping account, which would have been fine, except that it found my UPS account with Shopify, not my own company's UPS account. So the UPS system charged the $20 collect shipping fee to my Shopify acct, which never showed up anywhere on my shopify invoices, and thus Shopify couldn't pay it - even after being notified that it was out there. The upshot was that my Shopify acct got suspended for non-payment and wouldn't allow me to charge anything new -hence the error message above.
The fix came from Shopify contacting UPS and finding the tracking number of the errant charge, they sent it to me, and I was able to contact UPS and get it paid. But i needed to get the Shopify UPS account number from Shopify (plus the invoice amount from UPS) for them to talk to me about it. So it was kind of a runaround for a while, but eventually it did get settled and i can ship again.
I gave Shopify a piece of my mind because it set me back about 2 weeks on shipping, plus a lot of headache and phone time. The ability for some third party (or UPS's algorithm) to charge externally to the admin account that is attached to Shopify should be automatically blocked when they create that account in your companies name (supposedly it is now for me, but i think it should be automatic for everyone.) I'm not surprised to hear that others had this problem.
So what I would do is get your UPS account number from Shopify, contact UPS with that info (which should be tied to your address and company name, so hopefully they will let you manage it) and try to get them to track down any unpaid invoices that are charged to that account. All Shopify could locate was a tracking number, which helped figure it out, but no $ amounts...i had to twist UPS's arm to get them to let me pay the unpaid invoice after i confirmed that it was a valid collect shipment.
Hope that helps. I hear you when it gets super frustrating to figure out why things aren't working and Shopify doesn't know either.