UPS shipping with Shopify basic

3 0 0

I've been shipping with simple USPS shipping methods thus far, but when customer add more than a few items to their order, the price gets too high.  I recently setup a UPS account.  But I can't for the life of me figure out how to integrate the UPS shipping method into my shopify basic.  It seems easy with Shopify Ultimate, but I can't do $180/mo web hosting right now.

I think making UPS an option is easy, but how do I calculate or show the customer how much shipping will cost?

Lastly, with the generic UPS account, I have no idea how to find my rates or even know what to do from this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
144 0 18

Hi Dickon,

Thanks very much for posting.

It sounds like you have flat-rate shipping enabled on your plan which is typically available if you're on the Basic or Professional plan. Tha still gives you some flexibility to adjust your rates according to weight or by price

If you find that your rates are too high when customers are adding multiple products, you have the freedom to adjust your rates and provide a discount for what would end essentially end up being combined shipping.

For example, if you're charging $5 for shipments of 0.0 - 1.0 lbs, you don't necessarily have to charge $10 for the next tier up of 1.1 - 2.0 lbs. Since you're shipping in one box, you could charge something like $7.50. 

Of course, if you had real-time carrier calculated shipping then it would be able to automatically charge your customers whatever the shipping carrier like USPS or UPS is charging. This is presented at the same stage of the checkout as you would see with flat-rate shipping which is after they have entered their shipping address.

Feel free to ask me more questions on the above, but I'll follow up via email to you so that I can go in more specic detail about your shipping options.

Thanks! :)

John

0 Likes
3 0 0

I think I understand.  If there is more than one option for a given weight, will Shopify show both options to the customer?  So if it's 0-0.5lb USPS and 0-0.5lb UPS, can the customer select one based on price?  Then there would be 2nd day, overnight, etc.

Additionally, do you know how I find out my UPS rates?  I found a giant confusing spreadsheet on their website, but I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
144 0 18

Hi Dickon, 

If there is more than one option that's set in your shipping settings then they'll appear as multiple options during the checkout. 

If you wanted your UPS generated rates to come through, you'd need real-time carrier calculated shipping enabled in your store. Aside from the Unlimited plan, we can add that feature for an additional $20 per month. So if you're on the Basic plan, it would go up from $29 to $49.

I'll follow up via email with more on adding real-time shipping added to your store!

Talk to you soon!

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

hello,

I have to add upgrade plan by 20$ per months in order to add shipping rates, but i don't find where to upgrade plan ? I have shopify plan at 79$

0 Likes