USA Credit Cards & International Shopify Payments

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi!

Shopify payments question: I sell mostly in the USA. I am planning to switch my store from a Shopify USA store to a Shopify Singapore store. I will still use Shopify payments and still accept payment in USD.

My question is - I understand that some Americans have credit / debit cards that do not allow them to shop at stores outside the USA and their cards get declined while processing causing abandoned carts.

I've seen this brought up in a few forums especially when using third party payment gateways.

Does anyone know if I'll face this issue just by switching from Shopify USA to Shopify Singapore, while continuing to use Shopify payments?

I asked Shopify and they said I'll have to check with each card provider which is impossible obviously.

Any insight welcome, especially from international merchants selling into the USA using Shopify Payments. Thank you so much.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1066 101 247

Hey there, @sy111 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. As it stands, merchants from Shopify Payment supported countries have been successful in taking payment from US cards. While there would be some exceptions to these rules, they would all be determined by their card providers, i.e. their banks. I have seen many international stores accept American credit cards using Shopify Payments without an issue. If your customer does have an issue making payment, they can reach out to their bank/credit card provider to have the limits on their card lifted. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes