USD payments & payouts for UK/EU citizens - how do you do it?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
403 0 54

After spending a rather fustrating 60 minutes talking to a Shopify C/S agent - who seemed more interested in keeping me on Shopify payments (despite it not meeting my needs). And whom told me the route to go is 'opening another store'...I still have this problem:

1. How do I set my product pricing/shipping etc in USD and take payment in USD, while getting paid out into UK bank account, preferably in GBP/EURO?

I hear people saying they are using Stripe - which I have - but this doesn't come up as a payment gateway option, so have no clue how to add it, and C/S weren't particularly forthcoming with help

I know I'm not the only UK citizen using this platform, selling into the USD/CA, who wants to charge in USD and be paid into a UK bank account, so if anyone could fill me in on how to do this I'd be helpful. I've researched and asked Shopify, but am coming up empty handed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Actionable, affordable, marketing strategies that work. Stacey Herbert www.brazenprofitlab.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm experiencing the same problem and can find no answers anywhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 24

Hi, Stacey!

I’m Shay, a Shopify Guru. 

I'm sorry that this has been frustrating for you! We do have the option of changing you over to a US Shopify Payments account so that you can accept USD, you would just need to have your business listed with the IRS or have a US SSN for this to be legal. Payouts would be in USD. Stripe isn't an option in the UK with Shopify, but you do have alternatives. 2Checkout as well as Authorize.net are payment gateways that allow merchants based in the UK to accept USD. 

That being said, the specifics of the currency they pay out in and their requirements for setting up the account aren't details I have on hand so I do recommend reaching out to their support team on those points or hopefully a merchant with personal experience in using any of these options will drop in to share their $.02. 

Past those, there are quite a few payment gateway options for you in the UK, you can see the full list here if you want to look for other gateways that may also support charging USD in the UK. Also, you may want to cross-reference that with our list of which gateways are external vs. direct [meaning take payments directly in the checkout, like Shopify Payments does vs. redirecting the customer off-site like Paypal Express Checkout]. That list can be found here.

Hope this info helps, feel free to reach out to support with any other questions!

Happy selling!

Shay
Guru | Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Stacey,

Did you manage to get this resolved? We are a UK based company setting up a US Shopify account. We want to trade in US$ to be paid into our US$ account, that's in the UK. Support are currently telling me this is doable with Shopify Payments so I was about to test. Have you found any different?

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Jane, please share your experience and how you get on as I am in the EXACT same situation as you and couldnt do it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi, I'll let you know if I get anywhere. I decided I must have to use their 'Stripe' instead but you hit the same wall 'the bank account must be located in the country where the currency is based'. There must be other UK companies trading in the US with US$'s ????

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hey Jane, have you made any progress with accepting US dollars as a non US company?

I'm in the same situation, having a base in the UK and Australia, but the majority of my customers are US based. Having them paying conversion fees at checkout and experiencing price increase and decrease based on currency fluctations is not ideal. I need to based my costs in US currency, and accept it natively.

I've been looking for UK accounts that could act as USD deposits, but have only found ones that require 50,000 deposits etc. Even so, as you mentioned, Shopify and Stripe require you to have an actual US based bank account with SSN to achive this.

Looking for ways to acheive this account in the US as a foreigner sent me down all sorts of rabbit holes (Paynoeer?). Needless to say, there must be many of us who need this solution and need to open US bank accounts.

Any progress to share?

Thanks Jane, I'll keep you posted if I find anything too. How crazy is it that we seem to be the first to need this? haha

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Lee,

After much investigation, it appears there is no solution unless you set up a US company and bank account and register with IRS - so that's what we've ended up doing!

Good luck :)

Jane

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks a lot for the quick response Jane!

Do you possibly have any pointers to share about walking down that path as a non US resident ?

...Banks that let you open accounts as a non resident....how to establish a US address.... etc

It would be super helpful if so, thanks for your time anyways Jane!

Lee

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm in the same spot as everyone else in that I'm in the UK and want to take USD in a store for the USA market.
I'm selling physical products that are stocked and shipped within the USA.
If I set my store to USD and some one pays. Do Shopify Payments process the payment and then send the payment to my UK GBP bank account?
If so do I suffer a nasty exchange rate or does it just not work or ??

0 Likes