USPS First Class for heavier packages

Highlighted
2 0 1

When I go to buy postage and fulfill "larger" orders (the example today was 3.6 lbs) -- I am no longer being provided the option to ship via USPS First Class.  That option disappears completely, and I'm only given the option to send it via Priority, which is far more expensive.

Is there a setting where I can fix this?  I'd prefer to mail everything First Class.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
17 0 1

Hey Jamie,

Samantha here from the Shopify Guru Team. Thanks for reaching out.

When it comes to buying shipping labels they will all be measured by weight. The shipping options for each weight range are set by the carrier, in this case USPS. There isn't really a way around this. If the weights on your products are not accurate and you purchase a cheaper label the carrier would require that you purchase a new label in order to ship the product once the package is weighed by them.

What a lot of people are doing now is using the Carrier Calculated Shipping option. You could setup an account with a carrier and work out negotiated shipping rates with them. With Carrier Calculated Shipping on your account you can then connect your carrier account with the negotiated rates to your Shopify store and use those rates instead. The biggest thing to keep in mind here is that if you have a carrier account with someone other than USPS you would need app like ShipStation, ShippingEasy or netParcel in order to print shipping labels from your Shopify login. 

This feature is part of the Advanced plan by default but can also be added onto your account for $20/month or for free on any annual payment plan. If you are interested in this option don't at all hesitate to reach out to our support team to get this added on to your account. 

Hope this helps - have an amazing day!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Thanks for the quick response! I currently like offering a flat rate to my customers for shipping, which is why I haven't pursued the Carrier Calculated Shipping option.  But I just want to make sure I understand your first point -- so USPS requires the use of Priority shipping over a certain package weight?  Even as low as 3 pounds?  I'm pretty sure if I brought a box directly to the postal office, they would sell me postage for first class shipping for a 3 pound package, and not require that I ship Priority.  So is this just the agreement set-up between Shopify and USPS being reflected in my postage options on my site when I go to ship?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Yes, that's how USPS shipping works with Shopify. USPS requires the use of Priority shipping over a certain package weight. So, a better option would be to enable carrier calculated shipping on your store and use your own USPS account with negotiated rates. Also, you can use an app like the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that helps you integrate USPS and Shopify with ease and automates the shipping process for you.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes