USPS Pricing

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I just completed the set up of my retail clothing Shopify store but I am hung up on how to determine shipping prices. Upon researching many other comparable Shopify clothing stores I notice that if I put 1 or 2 shirts in my basket my shipping rate is around $4.00 whether I put the shipping address as California, New York or Hawaii. How is this possible? I've asked USPS if they offer flat rate shipping prices and the closest I can get is $5.75 for a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope which seems awkward to put shirts in.

Does anyone know how I can get my shipping rate down to $4.00 for 1 or 2 1.5oz shirts? And can I ship in a plastic bag that is more appropriate for shipping garments? (Like Anthropologie or Nordstrom does) I've tried to call USPS several times and they are no help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

They use the "First Class Package" service from USPS, which requires that the max weight to be 13 ounces (in certain cases, up to 1 Lb). It's the cheapest rate on the planet! You should do the same if possible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

They use the "First Class Package" service from USPS, which requires that the max weight to be 13 ounces (in certain cases, up to 1 Lb). It's the cheapest rate on the planet! You should do the same if possible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

Hey Katherine,

I believe it's because those guys use the "First Class Package" service from USPS, which requires that the max weight to be 13 ounces (in certain cases, up to 1 Lb). It's the cheapest rate on the planet! You should do the same if possible.

---

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

(posted in wrong place - deleting)

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you for your reply! My friend guided to me to Stamps.com where you can print shipping labels and get very low rates.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 1

Good!  Stamps.com is great; take a look at Shippo as well..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Since this is an old thread, i believe the issue is resolved by now. However, just in case if someone else faces the same problem, i would like to give my opinion on this.

Going with First class Mail as suggested by many people here would have been the ideal way to go. This would have saved more than a dollar for shipping every item. Going with Stamps.com also has it's advantages like cheaper rates, however, in your case i am not sure it made sense as you would still have to pay $17/month for subscription. It all boils down to the fact that how much you are selling and you have to do the arithmetic.

To use USPS (eVS) and/or Stamp, you can try the Multi Carrier Shipping label app where rates from both these carriers can be compared. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes