USPS international Shipping

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello! I was wondering if any of you can help me with international shipping. I am from the USA and want to know the precedure to ship outside of the US. All of my packages are less than 1 lb and i want to use USPS. Thank You!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
189 0 17

Are you shipping on your own? Then go to post office and get some custom forms, when shipping internationally you will fill those out. The easiest way would be still using one of the shipping apps though.

You can ship anything, the question is whether the destination country will accept the product you are shipping. If it is a media product you can ship pretty much anywhere, if it is an electronic product one some countries may have some additional regulations. If it is food, it will not be accepted by most of the countries.

So I hope this gives some idea, it is no different then shipping locally.

Pasilobus, Inc - Shopify Experts - Contact us at support@pasilobus.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

It is clothing. What shipping app do you reccommend?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Matthew,

There are a few shipping apps out there but I would recommend ShipStation. Their app is extremely easy to navigate and can help you with all you international shipping needs as well as print your labels for your US orders even if you want to offer FedEx, UPS and/or USPS. You can mix and match these.

Another great international app is InXpress. They offer DHL express - 3 day transit or less anywhere in the world with tracking to the door. Their rates are competitive with the USPS. I think the discounts are like 70%+ with their group volume discounts.

Hope that helps.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you for sharing, very helpful. New to Shopify and still getting things set up, would you mind expanding upon either of these apps/services a little deeper? I'm in the research phase and am feeling overwhelmed.

1) Do either of these apps/services allow insurance to be added? We are a fine jewelry studio based in the US and are looking to set up international shipping options. Europe and Australia are our most requested international destinations. Our packages are small (9 3/8" x 7 1/4" x 2 1/2" and usually weigh under a pound in actual) but the value can be high, ranging from $80 to thousands of dollars. We currently do not offer international shipping online but would like to due to number of requests.
We charge a flat rate on all our domestic packages, but International orders seem more complex - just not sure how to best go about this. My goal is to keep it simple to manage on my end while offering international shipping that is easy to understand, safe and affordable for the customer.

2) Can either of these apps/services be used for sales not sold through our Shopify website? For example a custom order or a phone order? Currently we run our international orders like a phone order and not through Shopify.

3) Do you have advice for best shipping option from the US to Australia, including insurance for a purchase $1,900? Again same small package size, under a pound in actual weight. A current customer request...

Many many thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

Hey Dyan,

Lee Brevard was a pioneer!

Re 1), Answer is Yes. Insurance is built in.

Re  2), Answer is Yes. Manually creating a shipment is built in.

Re 3), DHL is best for this one, and as James Peacock recommended, InExpress is good for it.  However, keep in mind that your cheapest option for international shipping should be USPS 1st Class Package, and you can protect yourself with insurance included.

SW

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you for your reassurance that I was on the right path in sorting this out.  Much appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 14

Shipping international should not be a problem especially if you are going with USPS. You mentioned that your products are less than 1 lbs which fits ideally for First Class International shipments. In addition, for international, you need to have a commercial invoice that declares the cost of goods in it for customs to take a look. Also, insurance is a must as you will incur heavy losses if something happens to the shipment. And Finally, signature verified delivery is also something that can be looked at. All these features should be available in the solution that you may be using. You can try the Multi Carrier Shipping label app for this purpose.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes