Urgent Help! UPS "The address line you're shipping from exceeds 35 characters" to Spain

cafekhongda
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I've always shipped with USPS and had no problem with the characters limit. 

However, this time I need to ship via UPS (3-4 days) to Spain. And the customer's address according to shopify/ups has exceeded the character limits.

I checked the address and it seems like every normal international address I've sent within the character limit? Please help! 

Michael XXXX XXXXX
Carrer de la Bufera 6, apt xxx, Sitges B 08870, Spain

That's the customer's address, I hid the apartment number. 

Thanks for reading! 

Replies 5 (5)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 462

See if you can split the address into address 1 (street name) and address 2 (apartment number). From what I know 35 char limit pertains to each address line.

If this does solve the issue, I would submit a request to app developers (search the app store for the developer contact info of that label printing app).

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).
joshdane
Shopify Partner
33 0 22

We are getting the 'exceeds 35 characters' error using standard Shopify Shipping. How can I contact Shopify about their app? 

shopify help_ .png

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @joshdane, thanks for joining the thread! 

You're welcome to contact our support team via our Help Center here at any time - from this page you can log in to your account, enter a topic into the search field, then choose Get support

That said, based on what you've shared, it sounds like you will need to edit your Address line, as both UPS and DHL have 35-character limits. Are there any opportunities to abbreviate the address to fit the character limit? For example, switching "Street" to "St". In some cases it's also possible to use Address line 2 for details such as apartment/suite number. Let me know how that goes!

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hello @cafekhongda,

Thanks so much for sharing your question here!

As @Nick_Marketing pointed out, the character limit does apply to each field (or line) of the shipping label individually. As well, each field may have different limits, and these limits will differ from one postal carrier to another. 

For UPS, the current character limits (bearing in mind that these are subject to change) are:

• Name: 35
  • Company: 35
  • Address 1: 35
  • Address 2: 35
  • Phone: at least 10, max 15

If you're still running into any difficulty and you're comfortable doing so, you're welcome to share a screenshot from your admin of the customer's shipping address, obscuring details like name and apartment number. You can click "Edit customer address" from the shipping label creation page to view each field/address line. Let me know if you have any questions at all. 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Firstinmath
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Hello we are facing the same issue regarding UPS. We have abbreviated everything as much as possible but it seems that UPS does not follow the format below on Shopify but rather combines them all into one line. If it did follow that format we'd have no issue. I'm not sure how anyone ships using UPS if their "from" address is all being combined into a single line. Any Help? 

Name: 35

Company: 35

Address 1: 35

Address 2: 35

Phone: at least 10, max 15