Urgent: Identity problem and invalid document halting payments

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi, I need urgent help with our shop which has been running since 2017. My colleague spoke to someone on live chat and the conversation went nowhere (I have a ticket number which I can provide but can't see how to continue the conversation).

The alerts:

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 15.26.13.png

When I click 'update personal details' in the error notices, there is a name already there, and if I edit it and save, nothing changes. For example, I tried it with a middle name and a middle initial just in case. The name is one of the company owners most likely to have been involved in the setup. 

Then, when I click 'submit document' in the error notices I get the following:

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 15.28.25.png

As far as we are aware, the account owner is the company name (and the name appearing here is one of the managing directors). If it wants a named individual but the store is owned by the company what are we supposed to do?

Then when it comes to the document submission (address verification) we have uploaded utility bills for both the business and the co-owner's home address and they have all been rejected.

We absolutely cannot have our payments stopped so this is becoming really urgent and no-one's giving us the answers we need. What does Shopify want from us?? We need to know what the documents are even verifying. A person? The company? Please help.

Highlighted
5 0 0

This is exactly the same problem as I have had. Same dates, same payment holdup, same failure to get anyone to talk sense.

I just can't see how this is allowable in 2020. This Kafkaesque situation, something is demanded, but you don't know what it is. They won't tell you. You send something. It doesn't satisfy. You get your money cut off, they sit on it, even threaten to send it back to customers (!) and you can't do a single thing about it.

Are we in totally dystopian world?

If you find a way around this, please let me know!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Dreadful situation. Had to contact live chat twice, email numerous times, ask our web development company to contact Shopify and eventually locate the head of support and email them directly to get anyone to help us. Still it took days, and a lot of stress, by which point Shopify had already withheld a significant amount of money from us and threatened to cut off our business.

What you need is:

- A utility bill which shows the company name and the account holder's name along with the registered company address. This is EXTREMELY hard to get. Our utility bills were addressed to our company name and not a named individual. Eventually we found a utility renewal letter that contained all of these requirements. Good luck if you can't.

- Personal ID for account holder(s). This is driving licence (front and back) for example. 

- Personal proof of personal address for account holder(s) - a utility bill from home showing name and address

If you are not sure who your account holder(s) are, it will be even more difficult. We thought ours was our company name. Turns out it was two named individuals, which wasn't stated anywhere.

If you find yourself in this situation, good luck getting out of it with your sanity in tact.

Having said all this, I'm still not 100% sure we have resolved this issue as there's no payment withheld message anymore but payments are still 'in transit'.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

After screaming and shouting at Shopify, I got an email with a list of documents to submit. It is not possible to submit documents until you get this demand, so you need to provoke the issuing of this demand:

"

Hello,

Due to local rules and regulations, Shopify must collect more information about (your shop here) .myshopify.com for you to continue using Shopify Payments.

The deadline for collecting this information is October 28, 2020. Your Shopify Payments payouts will be put on hold beginning October 13th if you do not provide the additional required information.

After October 28th, if you do not provide the additional required information, you will no longer be able to accept payments from buyers. We do not want this to happen to your store, which is why we're reaching out to you now.

Here is what we need:

Photo ID - Front

Government-issued ID (e.g. passport or driver's license)

Photo ID - Back

Back of Government-issued ID (e.g. passport or driver's license)

Government Photo ID 2 - Front

A second piece of government issued identification, such as a driver's license

Government Photo ID 2 - Back

A second piece of government issued identification, such as a driver's license

Proof of address

Utility bill (e.g. water, electricity, or gas bill from the past 3 months), lease agreement (dated) or property insurance (dated)

What you need to do:
Visit your store's admin:

Blah blah blah.

You may notice be bizarre requirement for two forms of government ID, in one case either a driver's licence or passport, and in the second case, a second item, e.g. driver's licence. Therefore, the first one can only be a passport.

In any case, the various things have been uploaded. When you do this, you may get what we got, a scary message that the web page is not available, or something. Don't panic, as you may get a more reassuring email straight away that they have received the documents and will review straight away. I am not holding my breath.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Good luck. We thought it was all resolved yesterday and logged back in this morning to find this again:

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 09.22.39.png

Actually losing my mind now.

0 Likes